Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a decent radio option to fit in the original dash of a 66/67 Nova. I want a decent sounding sound system, not just one that looks like it should be there. I bought a custom auto sounds unit many years ago, and it sounded like a pocket transistor radio in the bottom of a 5 gallon plastic bucket! Everybody I talked to said the same thing about theirs as well. Mine quit working after just a couple of months, and I threw it in the trash. Has their stuff gotten any better, or is still the cheap crap it was 15 years ago?

·
Registered
581 Posts
i got one for my dad years ago as a gift, and you are dead-on, there. and it wasn't cheap, and was an embarrassing gift.

no clue if anything better exists.

-Rusty

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
779 Posts
Here is another direct fit option to look at.

Yet another option. I did this but did not put it in the ashtray. I mounted it to a small piece of fiber board and used velcro to mount it under the dash. You can stream all of your music or radio stations from your phone. I was very impressed. Used it in my 63 until I ponied up for something else. Putting it in my 67 now.

Finally, there is this option. Very expensive though. Convert the insides of an original radio to modern electronics.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i have a custom auto sound in my 66. there's no front speakers but two good sounding speakers in the rear. i don't have any problem with it. plus it has an aux. input.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a Custom Auto Sound that came in my 67. Only came with dual dash speaker. Can't tell anything about the sound quality with that. Installed some rear speakers but none of the functions work like balance, fade, etc. I am just going with the ash tray radio for now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I put the RestSound radio in my 67. Mounted in original radio spot in dash with replica facing. It has aux ports, Bluetooth and thumb drive connections. Mounted two speakers in kick boards at front and two 6X9 in rear deck behind seat. Sounds good enough for me. I stream XM on phone and play it through the radio. Car runs better when the 60's channel is playing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I put the RestSound radio in my 67. Mounted in original radio spot in dash with replica facing. It has aux ports, Bluetooth and thumb drive connections. Mounted two speakers in kick boards at front and two 6X9 in rear deck behind seat. Sounds good enough for me. I stream XM on phone and play it through the radio. Car runs better when the 60's channel is playing.
Of course it does. But then again, so do I.

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
147 Posts
View attachment 409120 i have a custom auto sound in my 66. there's no front speakers but two good sounding speakers in the rear. i don't have any problem with it. plus it has an aux. input.
I like the pack of cigarettes in the ashtray! As a kid, I remember my Dad rolling his cigarettes up in his t-shirt sleeve...Camel, non-filtered. 😎

·
6,404 Posts
For my 63, I left the radio in the dash but didn't even bother connecting 12 volts to it. I use a bluetooth speaker(Bose) as the speaker and my phone as the source. I have a bunch of songs downloaded on it but usually stream music. I use Jango or Amazon Prime for a provider. Bluetooth speakers have come a long way in improving their sound and can be moved from the car to where ever you go to when it's with you in the car.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I like the pack of cigarettes in the ashtray

gmachine thats a good eye. the pack is empty been empty since 91 when i smoked them in saudi during desert storm. the name is Gold Coast. it was a buck for a carton of 10 packs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up going with a retrosound radio. hopefully is is on the way to me right now. Crutchfield's was the best price of all the suppliers. Just could not spend another dollar with Custom Auto Sounds again after the junk they sold me last time.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Which model did you choose? The one with bluetooth? Let us know what you think after you get it installed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been considering one of the bluetooth amplifiers you can get on ebay. The dash would only have an aux line and a volume knob visible. Course I'd be giving up FM not working though my phone.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here is another direct fit option to look at.

Yet another option. I did this but did not put it in the ashtray. I mounted it to a small piece of fiber board and used velcro to mount it under the dash. You can stream all of your music or radio stations from your phone. I was very impressed. Used it in my 63 until I ponied up for something else. Putting it in my 67 now.

Finally, there is this option. Very expensive though. Convert the insides of an original radio to modern electronics.
I installed a Retrosound Bluetooth stereo in the stock location in my '64 sedan along with the best two-channel center speaker for the dash available and two good quality 6x9's for the rear package tray. No additional amp needed. This stereo's sound is excellent, and so is the Bluetooth, including the mic for talking on the phone (which I clipped to the underside of my ashtray). The installation was easy and well-engineered. The look is retro and fitting for the car. I'm sure they have one for the '66-67s.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use my phone as the radio. I bought a JL Audio bluetooth receiver and hooked it to a JL amp. I mounted it all on the bottom of the package tray. Its out of the way and you don't even notice it when the trunk is open.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought an original used 66 radio (saved my original one) and sent it to Joe's Classic Radio in South Carolina. They completely gutted it and installed all new solid state motherboard. It has Bluetooth, RCA jacks, USB ports, you can stream Sirius Radio, use an IPod or your phone or whatever you want. I added DVC (Dual Voice Control) speakers, one in the front original dash position and one in the original rear deck location. The DVC speakers give you stereo sound from the one speaker. And the radio looks all original from the outside. Oh and I only paid $35 for the old used 66' radio.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts