Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys So I was wondering if there is anyway to accomplish a solid drag set up as well as a suspension set up that could handle to. Do all Pro street cars have to handle bad in the corners. My car is a 74 nova I want to run Cal track Bars and mono leafs in the back with a decent size tire.. .mini tubs plan to run a big inch bbc in the front wana run in the 9s but still maintain streetabilty. is handling completely out of the picture here...I imagine there is someone who has wanted a car to do it all before haha any info helps guys let me know if I need to give more info!
Again setup is
74 going to put a big inch motor (800-900 hp)
T400 with gear vendors od
Want to put a 9 inch with 3.73s
Thinking caltacks and mono leafs?
Front suspensions is stock now but changing based on what I can learn for what I’m trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I know this isn’t going to handle like a awd WRX haha but I just wana be able to hit the corners with some speed and be able to give a little coming in and out of country road corners type deal if that makes any sense haha

·
Registered
68 Posts
From what I've been told, you need to find the largest diameter anti-sway bar you can find. Front and rear.
You're mostly dealing with a situation here where you are moving in two completely different directions. Kind of like trying to build an engine that gets 40 MPG while putting out 600 horses. You can have one, or the other. Drag cars are made to go fast in a straight line. They tend to give up cornering in order to do this.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hey guys So I was wondering if there is anyway to accomplish a solid drag set up as well as a suspension set up that could handle to. Do all Pro street cars have to handle bad in the corners. My car is a 74 nova I want to run Cal track Bars and mono leafs in the back with a decent size tire.. .mini tubs plan to run a big inch bbc in the front wana run in the 9s but still maintain streetabilty. is handling completely out of the picture here...I imagine there is someone who has wanted a car to do it all before haha any info helps guys let me know if I need to give more info!
Again setup is
74 going to put a big inch motor (800-900 hp)
T400 with gear vendors od
Want to put a 9 inch with 3.73s
Thinking caltacks and mono leafs?
Front suspensions is stock now but changing based on what I can learn for what I’m trying to accomplish.
Short answer is no. You won’t be able to have a suspension designed to hook on small tires and then corner. You are at the 2 extremes of application. Hooking enough power to go 9’s on a small tire is a dedicated setup.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Handling

One problem that wasn't mentioned was the weight of the big block over the front wheels. if you are willing to make changes when going to the track like putting different wheels and tires on,freeing up front suspension and making changes to adjustments to rear suspension. it can be done. you'll end up with probably acceptable handling on the street and track but not optimal on either

·
Registered
780 Posts
Maybe ditch the leafs and go with an adjustable 4-link. That would be a better option in my opinion.

any certain brands or setups you would recommend looking at? im pretty novice with 4 links they hook well?
I went with TCI. It's a nice setup and installation wasn't too difficult. PM Tim @ Tim's Hotrods (ibuildm on here). He's a TCI dealer and super helpful. He can answer any questions you have.

My 64 isn't road ready yet, but it's my understanding that 4-link rear ends are much better than leafs, and the adjustable coilovers make it even more so.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If your looking for the best of both worlds chassi works makes a drag clip that will run a a arm setup instead of the strut

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I’ll say it like this, if money is no object then anything is possible.. The hurdles you place in front of you are of your own design.. As stated a 9 second drag car is one kind of animal and crippled with the burden of supporting a big block way out front puts the balance of the vehicle in a very nose heavy position.. The amount of money it would take to build a Nova into something you are describing would probably put most people off..

Take a look at Ken Blocks Gymkhana Mustang. I realize that this is a pretty extreme example but the point is that the balance of the vehicle is crucial to how it performs. Even if you were to basically carry the same overall vehicle weight but distributed it more evenly between the front and rear axles the car would be better balanced. A mid engine all wheel drive Big block Nova might be the way to get there.. But if you get to the point where all wheels are pulling you off the line then a big block is an obstacle rather then an asset.. Lighter, more traction, better balance, all make for a snappy launch and better cornering..
How far do you want to go?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ll say it like this, if money is no object then anything is possible.. The hurdles you place in front of you are of your own design.. As stated a 9 second drag car is one kind of animal and crippled with the burden of supporting a big block way out front puts the balance of the vehicle in a very nose heavy position.. The amount of money it would take to build a Nova into something you are describing would probably put most people off..

Take a look at Ken Blocks Gymkhana Mustang. I realize that this is a pretty extreme example but the point is that the balance of the vehicle is crucial to how it performs. Even if you were to basically carry the same overall vehicle weight but distributed it more evenly between the front and rear axles the car would be better balanced. A mid engine all wheel drive Big block Nova might be the way to get there.. But if you get to the point where all wheels are pulling you off the line then a big block is an obstacle rather then an asset.. Lighter, more traction, better balance, all make for a snappy launch and better cornering..
How far do you want to go?
ya ill keep just rear wheel but i would love to the next gymkhana haha..dreams

im not tryin to build a record auto cross car but something that i can take on some country road corners in at decent speeds. is there a way to have all the "hookup" in the rear and the handling upfront or is that just wasted efforts?
want to be able to drive the car couple times a week and i just live on orchard roads with some twists. want to enjoy that somewhat.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Guldstrand modification to upper control arm mount or something equivalent which basically changes the stock camber geometry to induce negative camber as the body rolls over when cornering. Fatter front sway bar and gas charged shocks like KYB. Lower the center of gravity. Subframe connectors to stiffen up the chassis.

·
Vendor
1,230 Posts
I went with TCI. It's a nice setup and installation wasn't too difficult. PM Tim @ Tim's Hotrods (ibuildm on here). He's a TCI dealer and super helpful. He can answer any questions you have.

My 64 isn't road ready yet, but it's my understanding that 4-link rear ends are much better than leafs, and the adjustable coilovers make it even more so.
My email is [email protected].
Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts