Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swaping an ls2 in a 66 sedan. I have searched the forums for a good fuel system, but doesn't appear to be a clear cut winner. Please help. Thnaks

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Swaping an ls2 in a 66 sedan. I have searched the forums for a good fuel system, but doesn't appear to be a clear cut winner. Please help. Thnaks
I'll tell you my experience.

I wanted my gas tank in its stock location. So that ruled out a fuel cell.

Short of fabbing my own (which I'm not capable of and don't want to pay anyone for a questionable job), there was only one option.......

Ricks stainless steel tanks.

Ouch.

·
Registered
931 Posts
tank

Use the sttock tank in that old heap of old metal!?!??!!? Cut it open an ad a pump.:yes::yes:

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Stock tank with a sump added, external walbro 255 inline pump....has yet to let me down.

Jack

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Stock tank with a sump added, external walbro 255 inline pump....has yet to let me down.

Jack

Jack,
Are you still using this type of fuel pump set up?

Has it proven reliable for daily use and long haul driving?

Glenn

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Ricks is the best choice currently available,its expencive and a little to much bling for under the car in my opinion.Aeromotive is supposed to release a muscle car EFI tank after the first of the year,Camaro first of course but if we all inquire it may show then the demand is there:devil:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Rock Valley is the bomb

never used ricks but I heard they are really good too. I used two rock valleys and they were great. Pricey, but great. As for too much bling, just paint it and too much bling just fades away.
I am currently using a Bosch on my 67 Chevelle pro-street car. No room for a stock tank or I would have used another rock valley.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
OK Craig, three questions on that awesome setup:

1. Where did you get that sump? (fab it or buy it and weld in?)
2. Which Holley pump is that?
3. How loud is that pump?

I love your setup. It is exactly what I plan to do, except I was thinking about the Bosch 044 pump and 3737 regulator/filter.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
DING DING DING!! WINNER!! LOL

That's gotta be it. Looks like I'll be ordering one real quick. I was thinking rather than cutting a big hole in the shape of the sump, I would just drill one or two 1" holes in the tank, and lay the sump over the hole. Wouldn't this serve as a simple baffle system?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn:

I am paying close attention to this thread!:yes: I need to learn, and then spend my money wisely.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
66 BADBOY............I like your train of thought, I can't see why that would not work as a baffle and sump.

wcraig...... Thank you for sharing your project! Is that a prefilter, going into your fuel pump? If so, very clean install and is that a Holley part?
Thanks man. I think it should work too.

One thing I wanted to mention is that it is also a good idea to put a fuel shut off valve right out of the tank. This is the one I bought:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Earl's/361/230502/10002/-1

Regarding fuel filters, here's the one I picked up:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/162-551/10002/-1?parentProductId=1627869

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I recieved this Email from Aeromotive a few minutes ago.I recomend emailing them to show there is an interest in this product:D:D

The Camaro Tank at SEMA is a concept tank, we’re working to develop the idea further, but there’s no hard timeline at the moment. There are some things that still have to change with regard to that tank to make it workable. If/when it comes to field testing, and then ultimately to production, I’m sure we’ll look at other applications, though which and in what order they’ll be created is not determined.

We appreciate your interest in the concept, and I’ll definitely let “the powers that be” know the 62-67 Nova is a hot ticked for you. The Ricks stuff is hard to beat regardless, but I understand the cost factor can be prohibitive to some.

Hope that helps, let us know if you need further assistance and thanks for choosing Aeromotive!

·
Registered
346 Posts
The sump came from Jegs as previously mentioned and the pump is a Holley 12-150. It is a gerotor design which quieter that the normal vane design. Holley rates it at 150 gph. It comes with a no return regulator. Had to get a return design regulator. Also had to use a Nova SS fuel sender for the return, which has a 3/8" line compared to the standard 5/16" sender. Here is summit racing link to it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-150/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-803BP/

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Not to try to be a jerk (just trying to save you from future headaches) but I think that pump is not rated for an LS1 motor. Summit showed its pressure at 16 psi, which is way lower than an LS1 needs. Unless maybe they said it would be fine?

EDIT: Holley lists it as a carb fuel pump:

http://www.holley.com/12-150.asp

1 - 20 of 61 Posts