Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone already installed an electric fuel pump in a 4th gen that can recomend the best place to bolt one in. I know it needs to be near the tank. I'm hoping there's a good spot that won't require dropping the tank.

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
The fuel lines run down the passenger side of the car and the tank lines are easy to get to without dropping the tank. My question is why do you want to run an electric pump?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm installing a 98 Vortec engine that doesn't have the machining done to the block or the cam lobe to enable using a mechanical pump.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I guess you have no choice then. I have electric pumps (2 of them) in my El Camino and get tired of the noise.
Time for louder exhaust!:D

As Philip said, easy to get to fuel lines.

[/IMG]

Between bumper and tank (I sure need to clean and repaint).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That location looks promising. I was looking at the frame rail behind the back spring mount.

Looking around I see that the fuel lines are all above tank level. I'm hoping this means I can disconnect them without the tank trying to empty itself on to me. But I also assume this means I'll need to syphon the gas down into the pump before it will prime itself.

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Remove the cap before the lines. Fuel will tend to siphon out of tank because the lines are lower, so be careful; no sparks or incandescent light bulbs.

The fuel pump should be self priming. That is not very far to draw the fuel from.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've settled on the right rear as well. After getting under there with my pump I could easily see there wasn't enough room on the frame rail to get the pump and filter both installed.

I got pulled away from it today, but I have the pump and filter installed. Tomorrow I'll hopefully plug lines and wire it up and see if I can get it started up.

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Really?:(I know it's not a fouth gen but c'mon they can't be that much stronger.
Yup really. Besides the chrome bumper you have the 4th gen has an inner bumper made of heavy steel in a C channel shape. It is mounted to the end of the frame rail with 2 gas charged shock absorbers. The whole assembly weighs around 80 pounds and is designed to absorb the impact. The 4th gen cars have many design changes that add higher levels of handling, comfort and safety. Just when GM started to get it right OPEC killed them off.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Rght front of the tank,between the axle and the tank,make home made mounting bracket,use a 5to 7 psi pump and you dont need a pressure regulator,I run a marine carter pump and rubber mount it for noise control,supplies all the fuel I need,Most higher pressure pumps are to loud and will shut down in hot weather on cruise night.:D

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I got rammed in the back of my 78' nova 4 times with no damage! by the way i mounted my electric fuel pump between th quarter and tank above the leaf spring on the tapped holes on the frame rail on both my 4rth and 3rd gen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts