Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've decided to go LS route for my 66 HT. I've always done sbc and am new to the whole LS thing. It will be a fair weather car, never raced. I have the opportunity to get either an lq4 or l92 from a local yard for the same price. The l92 is vvt so I know I'll need the delete kit.

My main question is, which engine would be better for the street? Do the larger ports and higher flow on the l92 heads mean I'll have lower torque in the lower rpms and higher hp over 6k rpm? If so, is it better to run the lq4 for low end grunt?

Also, the l92 is all aluminum but I've always heard the iron block ls engines are stronger and bullet proof.

Thanks for any input
Jv

·
Registered
187 Posts
I found myself in the same situation with my 63. I ended up going with a LQ4, ported 243 heads gives a little bump in compression and a tick performance cam. I did the carb route. It will be more than enough to get this car moving and it will for the 66 also. LQ4 alllllllllllllllllllllllll day:devil:

·
Registered
281 Posts
If the mileage is is close to the same I would go for the L92 and save some weight. Try and get the computer, wire harness and gas pedal with the engine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
No matter which LS you go with, get the new Holley EFI.

As I've said elsewhere on this board, I'd rather have the junkiest 4.8 I can find and run Holley than a 6.2 with the factory ECU.

·
Registered
423 Posts
L92 would be my pick, lighter weight with more displacement, upgraded bottom end with much better heads... its the truck version of a LS3! Strength of the block is not an issue for either unless making gobs of torque with a power adder.

Stock the L92 has higher compression and makes more power everywhere, but your cam selection will determine the engines powerband. The L92 would just need a standard Gen 4 non vvt timing cover, should be GM # 12633906.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back in town

Man I knew you guys would know! I appreciate all your responses. It seems that I can't go wrong with either motor. I plan on going on Sunday to see if the L92 is still available, if so I'll go with it. I plan on getting the engine and tranny if it's there along with all wiring harnesses, tcm, pcm, sensors and pedal.

Hope I can report back with good news

1 - 6 of 6 Posts