Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to go with a fiberglass hood and fenders on my 73 Nova and have been looking at some of the better brands like VFN, Harwood, and Glasstek. I have not seen one brand that offers the holes where the hood will bolt to the fenders. Any input on this subject would be awesome!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I believe when you run a whole fiber glass front clip you can not use a bolt on hood set up. The reason you probably can't find any holes is because you will only be able to use a pin-on style hood with the fiberglass fenders.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's going to be a street/strip car, and that sucks if I cant get a bolt on hood with the fenders.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well if I can't find any that will let you bolt the hood on I think I'll be keeping my steel fenders :(

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I have the front clip off my car and was noticing how much it flexes without the fenders and core support pulling it all together--Unless you plan to run some diagonals from the firewall to the framerails, I wouldn't do it.
As for hoods, I looked at 2 cars yesterday--one with a Harwood, the other a Glasstek...both have very nice fit and finish.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I like how the Harwood hoods take the curve from the leading edge of the hood and continue it into the raised portion of the hood. The Glasstek hood, and maybe even the VFN hood (not sure about VFN) take the line from the leading edge, go to the natural curve of an original hood, then start a new bump for the raised portion of the hood. Now, if that makes sense to you then I might have typed something correctly...

And if you're looking to save more weight use the non-show underside of the hood. I think the VFN hoods are lighter than the Harwoods.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i have two sets of glass fenders and have yet to use either set. i dont think they will be able to support even the weight of a bolt on glass hood and mine dont have hood support panels anyway. theyre unlimited products who have a bad reputation anyway but i got them for next to nothing.

ive heard that if you trim the bracing out of the steel fenders and trim some some of the overhanging metal the steel fenders will weigh almost the same as braced glass fenders. this is the route im going with my street strip car. im going to try to keep the car all steel but lighten every panel. i have a sheet metal trunk lid i cut so it pins on and im going to gut the doors and cut the inner structure away. just another idea to go lightweight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have glass fenders and hood. do put supports for rad support or stress lines will take place. as far as hinges i fabbed my own. honestly i wish i had my metal fenders.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to just run my steel fenders and lose weight in other places. To much work and then if they were to crack.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts