Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm the proud owner of an all original 1973 Nova with the original 307. I was wondering what exhaust would sound best on this - for a deep tough sound. I've been told to go with flowmaster by which ones? 40, 44, or 50? All input is appreciated, thanks in advance-Joe

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Your going to get a bunch of different answers. Kinda like asking which one will give me less trouble? A red head, a blonde or a brunette?
It's going to come down to personal taste. Try and find some audio bites on You Tube. Also every motor will sound different as well. Just a ton of variables in my opinion in exhaust sound.
Best advice I can give is don't go crazy loud. It will get old quick.
I'm running 2.5 Flowmaster system with 44's. All the way out to the rear wheels. I'm happy with the sound , performance and look .

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Your going to get a bunch of different answers. Kinda like asking which one will give me less trouble? A red head, a blonde or a brunette?
It's going to come down to personal taste. Try and find some audio bites on You Tube. Also every motor will sound different as well. Just a ton of variables in my opinion in exhaust sound.
Best advice I can give is don't go crazy loud. It will get old quick.
I'm running 2.5 Flowmaster system with 44's. All the way out to the rear wheels. I'm happy with the sound , performance and look .
Yep he's right!!:yes:

I prefer Magnaflo, but they're not throaty until I get on it, I like the car more on the quite side around town. I don't recommend anything over 2.5", duals have a different sound with no H or X pipe, but an H or X will help performance.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you're looking for a deep, throaty sound with a stock 307ci, then I would stay away from Magnaflow or Dynomax (SuperTurbo or UltraFlow). It takes a decently serious setup to get a deep throaty sound with those styles of mufflers at anything but WOT. I've had those mufflers on mild 350s and 307s, and it didn't even sound like the engine was running inside the car at cruise.

I would recommend the Flowmaster 40 or Super 44 for the sound you have mentioned wanting, with the setup you currently have. If you intend to build a much more aggressive engine, then the quieter mufflers can still give you the sound you want (and the Flowmasters might actually be too loud for your taste then).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! yea I plan on keeping it stock. Now with flowmasters, what is the difference between 40 and 44's?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I've got Flowmasters on my 3" exhaust to turndowns by the rear axle, its pretty loud. If you had 2.5" exhaust and tailpipes it might not be as bad.

I had 2.5" exhaust on my car years back with Dynomax Turbo mufflers on it with tailpipes and it was pretty quiet. When you stepped into it sounded good, but pretty quiet at cruise. Might be a good thing if you cruise a lot in it though.

I pulled the 307 and dropped in a 383 and kept the same exhaust for a year and I had a ton of guys wanting to race me on the street because they thought I had the stock base motor in it, but they were wrong. :)

If its not an everyday driver, then I'd go a little louder because its cool and fun. But if you drive it a lot or everyday, then go a little quieter because it'll get old fast. I only drive my car occasionally on the weekends and in the summer and after a long trip somewhere my head is really rattling from all the noise and stuff. But I still think thats cool, haha! But it wouldnt be cool everyday, just some stuff to think about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking for loud and throaty. It's not going to be my daily driver so I don't think that would bother me much.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks guys! yea I plan on keeping it stock. Now with flowmasters, what is the difference between 40 and 44's?
Super 44s are a little louder and deeper than the original 40s, but if all else is equal (pipe diameter, exit location, and everything engine related) the difference is minor IMO. On the other hand, the 50 series is noticeably quieter than either the 40 or 44.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Keep in mind, an "H" pipe will quiet things down somewhat, so if you're inclined to go loud, and you change your mind later, an "H" pipe may do the trick. They are relatively inexpensive, and relatively easy to install. Everything is relative. Good luck!:yes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice! Now, which in/outlet setup works with the 73, I see some offset,dual,etc. , i see 4 diff available. Dont have car in front of me,in case it sounds like a dumb question,ha.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Now, which in/outlet setup works with the 73, I see some offset,dual,etc. , i see 4 diff available. Dont have car in front of me,in case it sounds like a dumb question,ha.
Offset inlet/center outlet will work fine and is fairly common for this application, it's what I have on mine. But I have also seen people make the offset inlet/offset outlet work on a 3rd gen.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Offset inlet/center outlet will work fine and is fairly common for this application, it's what I have on mine. But I have also seen people make the offset inlet/offset outlet work on a 3rd gen.
That would be correct. All you need is 2.5" with some Super 44s, no h or x pipe and it should be loud. Will be louder with the 3" but not needed for your ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts