Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 Ventura with manual drums on the front and and I want to convert to disks. What is the best complete kit to go with? I don't want junk, but I also don't need the best big rotor kit either. I think I want to stick with manual (no power), but just want to move to disks. The only mods to the front are Hotchkis lowering springs and I have 17" rims on it.
Any advice/experiences would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am in the same situation as you. I have researched this and am leaning toward the complete kits from CPP. They look to be of good quality and are at a good price (compared to others). They also have big brake kits for your 17 in. wheels.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Right Stuff Detailing has OEM style kits, this is who I got my kit from. They are a supplier to many of the major restoration parts places. If you can catch up with them at one of the car shows they do and call them ahead of time, they will bring the kit to the show and give you the show discount price with no shipping.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I am installing some wilwoods now and they are only about 500 more than the CPP brakes of the same size. JR

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
Right Stuff Detailing has OEM style kits, this is who I got my kit from. They are a supplier to many of the major restoration parts places. If you can catch up with them at one of the car shows they do and call them ahead of time, they will bring the kit to the show and give you the show discount price with no shipping.

X2..........if you are at a show you will probably run into Pat. He is the one usually running the shows. Good guy to talk to..........he can set you up!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
$508.00 plus shipping... That is just too expensive for just taking of 1/2 inch of your drum brake spindle.. Total cost for me was 300.00 and that is using their top of the line stuff with a warranty. I have a 66 and used parts from a 3rd Gen with NO problems.

The choice is yours and its your money, I am just giving you some alternatives...

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I can't tell you who is best, but I can tell you CPP is the worst of anything I've ever put on a car.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
IMO and I have them on my car.
I have the complete system manual 4 wheel disc on y car. Every single piece including the lines is there system.
What I like the most is the systems uses regular GM parts for servicing.
And I stop my car at 130mph passes with no issues.

These guys do brakes and only brakes. They are the manufacture. Not a re-box company.

BRAKES IS THE DEAL!

They have several kits.

The one thing they have is complete or partial and have the service department to help you.

MP BRAKES
RIGHT HERE IN USA, right in the middle of NASCAR country, Mooresville, NC

http://www.mpbrakes.com/

Al

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put a set of right stuff detailing brakes together monday night. Beautiful setup!!
There boxing and instructions are great! No problems. We upgraded to black powder coated calipers! Everything is either plated or powder coated.
I've done about all setups on the market oem and big 13" ones. For the money the right stuff detailing with NNN front disc brake conversion prop valve/ brake line set. Works the best! Support our Steves Nova Site sponsor! shop NNN for best parts and Tech SUPPORT!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Heres a budget 12" setup

bought 98-02 Camaro LS1 rotors, calipers, and brackets off LS1tech for $50
$50 brackets to adapt LS1 calipers to Nova spindles
Turned outer diameter of stock drum hubs to fit inside LS1 rotor.
Turned the rotors, cleaned up and painted the calipers.

12" brakes with dual piston aluminum calipers for $100.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How much did that space out your wheels compared to drums?
I used the camaro 2 piston 2002 calipers, brackets and machined my brand new 2" drop spindles (late model front steer ones) to fit brackets pressed in larger spindles (use bigger outer bearing) to fit 1990 1LE 12" rotors.(can be done with right race change insted, but I wanted larger bearing to withstand the g's!).
Can we see a pic of your setup?
Do you own a lathe?
Sounds cool!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Its kinda funny. I see alot of brake "kits", from CPP or MP or whoever. They are only about 300 bucks cheaper than a similar wilwood setup. So you say, 300 bucks is alot. Well yes, it is. But when its a 1000 dollar system (just for the fronts) or a 1300 dollar system then the 300 bones in between is a smaller percentage.

There are a couple reasons why the wilwood system is better and IMO and worth the 300 bucks.

Solid rotor and hat design is not the best method. Alot, ok, Ill say all the 1000 dollar systems use a solid cast rotor and hat. The WW uses a separate rotor and hat/hub. Dont think you can argue this point for performance, maybe from a manufactures point yeah, less expensive to incorporate the hat into the rotor.

Another issue. Stock calipers. Ok, C5 or whatever they use has its benefits. Go to the local parts store and get off the shelf pads and caliper parts. ++ IMO..

But hey, those cals are HUGE.. Take a look at the diags provided by most after market brake suppliers. The calipers are very large, if yer looking at a 13" rotor system. They were meant for a very wide wheel. So you can fit them sure, but the offset for our cars is gonna be more than the preferred zero offset for performance. We are talking about performance here right...

I only gotta pipe up cause I did ALOT of looking before I laid down the bucks. And I tried to piece together a solid 13" brake system and found out I was gonna be nickel and dime-in myself to a 1000 dollar brake system (the front only) anyway... JR

MP
http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=318

CPP
http://www.classicperform.com/Store/StreetRods/M2WBK-D13G.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts