Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be welding some patch panels and other thicker metal on my 66. What is a good brand of Die Grinder and also what brand of grinding burrs is good to purchase? I would rather get some decent ones rather than the Harbor Freight variety:)

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
799 Posts
Check out TP TOOLS. They have a good line of products. They ship fast & have very good customer service. I have purchased many different items from them & have never been disappointed.
Link:www.tptools.com/

·
Registered
771 Posts
I switch over electric die grinder to use as much as I can, just so I dont have to listen to air compressor, I try and use disc grinder and sanders, as much as can, I have Makita and HF electric die grinders,

·
5,145 Posts
MAC has a set of two, one straight and one 90 degree for a little over $100.
Small and light I have about 6 sets for different uses.
I get the burrs from MAC or Snap On, use real carbide, they hold up much better. Carbide is heavier than HHS steel, there are a lot of people advertising carbide that is not carbide. It is obvious when you pick one up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I rarely use burrs or stones on body work.

I've used Harbor Freight or equivalent straight and 90° air powered die grinders for years with good service. If one fails, throw it away and get another. I've had the same 90° die grinder for over 15 years. I use it with Roloc style sanding discs and 1/32" or 1/16" cut off wheels/grinding discs.

I also have an old Craftsman electric die grinder that I use with carbide bits. I also have a Dremel speed control that I use with it. Makita makes a modern electric die grinder that is similar, and it may be available with electronic speed control. Full speed on the electric or a straight air die grinder is usually too fast for the carbide bits I use. Much more control at slower speeds. Slow is also necessary with long shank carbide bits. Real slow.

Thing is they all have their place.

I buy most of my carbide bits, sanding discs, and cut off wheels at McMaster-Carr. Great service, stuff is almost always in stock, and a full product line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts