Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am continuing this subject from another thread that kinda took off in a different direction. I am looking at swapping the 283 out of my 62' it has a TH350, 3000 stall(22-2400 with the 283) & 308 gears. I have a 355 short block with flattop double valve relief pistons & its waiting for a cam & set of heads. I would use the Performer RPM intake off the 283. I have been looking at a 280 or 286H Comp cams & maybe some S/R World heads with 67cc chamber & 170cc runners with 2.02 &1.60 valves. Is this a good combo or are there some original castings that would work good. What about cams? I want a strong running street car that I am not afraid to to drive anytime I want.

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
It looks like your stall and gears are mismatched. If you look at the comp cams web site, the cams that need 2500-3000 stall also need at least 3.73 gears. Looks like one of them has to go. I have afr 195 heads with a small cam, and I think they're a little to big for your situation, but the 180's with a 215-220 cam would probably work good. Check out afr web site, they got some pretty decent 350 setups.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tires are 25" tall so it would be a "low" 3.08. I do plan on dropping down to a 3.36 or 3.55 sooner or later. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts

What is the "integrity" of the 350 shortblock? Rings, bearings, etc..all in good shape?? It might also help if you gave us some idea of your budget....sounds like you are moving in the right direction.

wilma:shh:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a 2 bolt main stock bottom end with probably 5000 miles, built it myself, its in excellent condition. Like new rings & bearings. As far as a budget, hmmm, depends who you ask, me or my...anyway. A standard hyd cam is always cheap but the heads are where I really am lost. I know that I can wrap a ton up in overhauling an old set of of GM castings, thats why I was wondering about the SR Torquers. I would like to keep the heads under $800, obviously the less $$ the better. If I could find someone who has any good used heads that need freshened up I would be all for it.

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'll give you my stock heads if you drive out to chicago, thats how useless they are. I droped over a second off my quarter times with just a head swap and 3.23 to 3.73 gears. The gear change was maybee good for 2 tenths. Thats how good the afr heads are, or any aluminum head for that matter

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joey you really dont have to drive all the way down here to Kansas give me your AFR heads...just kidding. I do have some factory heads around & have always been told that the aftermarket heads are a night & day difference...this is my first time considering aftermarket. Thanks for the good info Joey.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
You may consider purchasing some vortec heads. They are pretty cheap and provide good power. Some will swear that they give the best bang for the buck as far as heads go. I am planning on putting vortec heads on my upcomming 383 but they should work just as good on a 350. The only bad thing is that you would have to buy a different intake that is made with the vortec bolt pattern.

-Aaron

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have Vortec heads and XE274 cam with 10.3 comp 4sp. and 373 gears in my 66 and it screams. Also very dependable gas milage s**ks.

Carl

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are good vortec head castings? I have been told that the Summit & GM Performance Vortec castings dont flow as well as the 96' & up original castings..any truth to this?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Look at best of tech about vortec castings. Scoggin-Dickie? has them already machined for .550 lift cheap, complete and ready to go. They also have a forum that is full of information about vortec heads. You should have around $800.00 into it with cam/heads and gaskets I believe.Watch for a used intake on e-bay. Summit has a good cam for this package maybe try a set of Rhoades lifters to boost your low end (308gears) and tune your exaust ( you can do this later when you have more $$$). Just my .2$
Carl

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Our Best of Tech FAQ section is a good place to start. Search this forum. There are pages and pages of threads with good info. Building a 350 is not hard but IMO, the worst mistake is thinking a big cam will fix crappy heads.

Start with the best heads you can't afford. It's cheaper in the long run.

Read Kev's budget 350 thread (start at the end) to find out about the S/R's and actual flow specs. You'll have to port them to get over 200 cfm.
Vortecs are a good option but read up on all the details and parts required to swap onto pre 86 engines.
For about $850 I'd get the Sportsmans if you don't want to change your intake. These flow 230 cfm out of the box and have room to grow.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Carl 66 said:
It looks like with the RHS vortec heads you can use your old intake -$200.00

Carl
Definite bonus for those of us who already have a full vortec setup. I'm keeping my eye on these for good/bad reviews.

If my oil/fuel problems end up being due to head issues, I'm gonna scrap my OEM vortecs and go after a better set of vortecs like the RHS ones; assuming they're good stuff.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I couldn't find thew price on these. Do they list the price on their page?
Carl

P.S. Hey Rex if mine ever go bad it's e-tec for me.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Carl 66 said:
I couldn't find thew price on these. Do they list the price on their page?
Carl

P.S. Hey Rex if mine ever go bad it's e-tec for me.
I've heard differing opinions on the quality of the e-tec combustion chambers. They're also on my option list, but it'll require much more research on any option before plunking down $$$$.

I couldn't find their price on the RHS vortec heads on their website either, but there's a guy selling them on EBay though for $675/pr + $59 s/h.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I vote Sportsman II... I ve heard some guys say its the best bang for the buck or atleast they would prefer them over vortecs. Considering you have to swap the intake and vaulve covers, and have have them modified to run a larger cam. But then agean the do have power potential and there are guys on here with vortech headed small block powered novas that run very good

1 - 20 of 31 Posts