Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of searching and reading, but have not found anything definitive for what I am looking for. I am looking to upgrade at least my fronts to disc at this time ( rear if budget allows ). I do not need anything crazy as I will not be taking the car to the track, but with even with 500+ hp on a Sunday driver i certainly want something safe for my family. Cost IS certainly a concern as funds are very tight, but I of coarse don't want something that is junk.

I have read that an LS1 brake setup would work and can be found relatively cheap. I am not against that at all, just wanted to see if there were other options ( possibly with smaller rotors so i don't have to go to 17's).

Can I get parts from any other car that will work with minimal fabrication?

Thanks!

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
might want to consider now what you'd like to accomplish in the future... save sending money twice or more...

if LS brakes are what you want then 17's will be needed... if you plan on forever staying with 14's then the disc kit needs to be tailored for the wheels...

this is what you'd basically be looking at...

http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/afxdc03c

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
might want to consider now what you'd like to accomplish in the future... save sending money twice or more...

if LS brakes are what you want then 17's will be needed... if you plan on forever staying with 14's then the disc kit needs to be tailored for the wheels...

this is what you'd basically be looking at...

http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/afxdc03c
Thanks for the advice and link.

I am at a point in my build right now that I have the flexability to change a lot. I will be getting new rims regardless, I just happen to like 15's or 16's and more rubber than low pro's. However if and LS1 setup would be cheaper and better I could very easily be happy with 17's.

I had read in a few threads that there were other brake setups of the era that would work, I just don't know if they were referring only to a 3rd gen or if earlier gens would work.

I guess I am just trying to look at all my options before I make any decisions/purchases so i will be as informed and knowledgeable as possible.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
you're basically stuck with using the ChevyII spindle regardless of disc conversion... if you decide to do the bigger LS brakes, good thing is you'll still be utilizing the ChevyII hub & spindles... you can possibly go cheaper... no booster assy, no spindles. just a barebones disc kit...

here's a lesser kit... http://www.ebay.com/itm/62-67-Nova-Disc-Brake-Wheel-Conversion-Kit-Brakes-/271032984012?fits=Model:Chevy II&hash=item3f1ad321cc&item=271032984012&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

the thing is with some of these kits is it screws with the wheel backspacing.. a lot of kits use "Off the shelf" parts so replacement parts, like Rotors, are quite inexpensive... but you may need new front wheels... so other choice is to buy a "Zero Offset" brake kit which Doesn't require new wheels but now the rotors are "special" and cost quite a bit if/when replacement is needed... so which is actually the better route? buy a wheel (non wearing part) or buy new, higher priced, captured items that when replacements ARE needed you "have to" buy replacements from kit selling company?

pick yer poison... i think if you plan far enough ahead you can get everything you need/want in stages and not break the bank buying stuff numerous times...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found this old post of mine and am finally at the point to get brakes! I'm ordering 17" tt2 wheels so I can go big brake kit if I want.

My head us still spinning when looking at kits to get though :confused: so many options and opinions. One looks food and then reviews are terrible. Any new recommendations for a budget friendly 67 front rotor kit? In a perfect world I would want zero offset kit with drop spindles buuuuut will get what is Best

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Just found this old post of mine and am finally at the point to get brakes! I'm ordering 17" tt2 wheels so I can go big brake kit if I want.

My head us still spinning when looking at kits to get though :confused: so many options and opinions. One looks food and then reviews are terrible. Any new recommendations for a budget friendly 67 front rotor kit? In a perfect world I would want zero offset kit with drop spindles buuuuut will get what is Best

Right Stuff detaling has a nice brake kit for 14" wheels for a great price:yes: I think it is under 400.00 for brakes only an under 600.00 for brakes, booster and master cylinder:D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just saw that on summit. Still up in the air if I want to go big brake or not but if I don't and feedback is good that kit is top of my list

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right Stuff detaling has a nice brake kit for 14" wheels for a great price:yes: I think it is under 400.00 for brakes only an under 600.00 for brakes, booster and master cylinder:D
Do you happen to know what this kit does to offset and if replacement rotors/pads are reasonable?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The offset is about 1/8 less than drum brakes,pads are I think Chevrolet Celebrity as well as calipers,rotors unknown.
Sounds great! And the rotors are on summit for $68 each. Best looking kit so far. Looking like either this or Ls swap are the best bet.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
USE YOUR OWN SPINDLES!!!!

Just follow this web site to the letter and it will save you cash!

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/leadfoot/spindle/drum2disc.htm

Just purchase some quality parts from NAPA and you will be good to go.

I've done this same thing on my 66 and used disc brake components from a 1974 Nova and it fit great. And you don't need to worry about the 1/8 off-set.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
If you plan on going with anything bigger than 15 inch wheels go LS brakes.
Do some homework.
I'm doing it for my 67. :yes:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Decided on 17s so that's an option. Read the LS swap thread quite some time ago. Guess its time for a re read if its not that difficult of a swap

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK you guys have convinced me :D. Anyone know of a parts list for the swap? I remember it being talked about but never saw it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts