Chevy Nova Forum banner

Whats the best weather stripping?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '66 sedan that was restored by the previous owner. The car does not seal well around the doors or the windshield. I think he used cheap chinese weather stripping for the whole car. My question to you all is, what is the best brand of weather stripping? I want something the will fit correctly and seal the water and wind out. I hear that steele rubber products and metro are good brands. Let me know what you think about them or if there is a better brand. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I've been dealin' with Steele Rubber Products since they were called Lynn Steele and you delt with Lynn himself. Great high quality products, most (if not all) products sold are made by Steele and they are STILL a family owned/operated business.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I too used steele throughout restoration of my 63. All fit really well except fuzzies, ended using Repops. One thing for sure, you do need to make slight modifications here and there even with the best after market products.

·
Premium Member
13,663 Posts
I have personally used Precision, Soffseal, Metro, TrimParts, PUI and Steele weather stripping.

I continue using Metro, TrimParts and PUI. Each has parts that I will use over the rest to get the best of the best. Steele has good windshield gaskets but..$$$$

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
OK WHO'S GOT THE BEST FUZZIES, I HAVE USED PRECISION AND SOFFSEAL AND DON'T CARE FOR THEIR WINDSHIELD GASKETS :no:

·
Premium Member
13,663 Posts
OK WHO'S GOT THE BEST FUZZIES, I HAVE USED PRECISION AND SOFFSEAL AND DON'T CARE FOR THEIR WINDSHIELD GASKETS :no:
I have used Repops brand, TrimParts, PUI (Windowfelt brand), Soffseal and Metro.

On these I would stick with PUI and TrimParts. In that order.

·
Premium Member
13,663 Posts
I'm about to order a windshield gasket for my '66 coupe. Who has the best fitting one out there?

John
General consensus would be for Steele, although I have sent out many Metro gaskets with no complaint. I have Steele front and rear on my 62 and they are great. I'll be using metro on my vert as a personal test, but that will be a ways off. Have nice originals for my sedan.

The Steele gaskets did require a bit of trimming at the corners, they all do. So don't expect an un eventful instal!!

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Good information here!

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I would only use Steele on the window gaskets. I tried others and and nothing fit like Steele. As far as trunk and door seals, I had VERY good luck with Soffseal.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We've sold, installed on customer's cars, and used Trim, PUI, Metro, Steele, & SoffSeal components. My personal opinion & feedback from customers varies depending on what particular component you are replacing.

Windshield/Back Glass: For 62-67 hardtops or convertibles I would use Precision or Steele. For 62-67 sedans & wagons we've had good luck with Precision, Steele, Trim Parts, or Metro. I do not care for the fit of the SoffSeal window seals which has also been confirmed by customer's experiences.

Windowfelts: I would recommend Trim Parts or PUI as the best fitting ones currently available.

Trunk seals: I prefer Trim Parts or Metro. Shape of the seal lip is correct and the density of the weatherstrip works nice w/o having to back the deck lid adjustments way off.

Walt

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
I got Metro for my 65 Acadian but sold the car before I installed them. I have not heard from the new owner whether or not he installed them yet.

I got Metro for my big 66 Pontiac, just installed them a couple of weeks ago and if they work as well as they look and fit, I'll be real happy with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts