Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '64 Moredoor was shot with lacquer at the factory, I was told that the whole care needs to have the paint stripped off. I'm looking for opinions on what is the safest blasting medium. I also see where some people had their rides blasted right in their driveway. How much of a mess did this make? Any issues with neighbors complaining about dust?

·
Registered
146 Posts
My car paint was stripped off by "dustless blasting" and came through in good shape with no signs of any warping or erosion. I would suggest that method. It was done at a body shop, there was some sand to pick up. Sand in car was blown out later, cleaned up pretty good.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Me and several friends are building a Protouring 60 Ford pickup for someone local.We just had it Dustless blasted and the guy got it down to bare metal with no warpage.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Riverboat man had his 65 hardtop sandblasted by mistake and pretty much every panel of sheet metal was distorted.. Others expressed their experiences with that method and many had similar outcomes.. I suppose it will depend on the talent behind the tool as to what the results will be.. Many of us probably have and play guitars but very few can play like Eddie Vanhalen.. :yes:

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Nova thug, I've read all the nightmares rides that were ruined by sandblasting. But there are other options when it comes to medium. Do you have an opinion about any other medium or are you saying you don't think blasting is good period?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I have had parts sand blasted but no sheet metal or body panels.. Chassis parts, wheels, heavier pieces of material that would not likely distort.

I think it comes down to skills. An operator that knows what medium to use and how to apply it will probably be successful at removing the material without damaging the sheet metal. The potential risk of damage is the balancing act you have to weigh against the speed of the blasting process. If successful, it’s all good.. If it result is warped panels then the speed of the process is defeated by the cost to repair good metal..

I might be tempted to try an experiment with brushing some brake fluid on a test area and see if it will lift the paint.. Just a thought..

·
Registered
150 Posts
If I needed to have panels blasted I would 100% go with the dustless blasting. The main reason is they use water which in turn keeps the metal cool as other methods the (blast) friction causes heat which in turn warps the panels. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
71 Posts
chemical remove

Use dustless blasting for cars . Like they said it runs cool and little to no warping. Sand blasting is for thick rusty metal.where they use a more coarse medium. If you have the time and want to do your self use airplane stripper. It wont go through bondo but will make paint just scrape right off. Use rubber gloves and a plastic bondo spreader. I just painted on and scraped right off into an old paint can. Then i used a wire wheel to clean to bare metal,

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think it all comes down to time and money as well as effort. I feel the best and quickest method is dustless blasting. Around here I got quotes for doing my 66HT in the ballpark of $1200. I'm not in a rush, nor do I have a ton of expendable cash. Most dustless blasters (around me) are mobile so the come to you. My concern was media and paint washing down the street and offending the neighbors.

So I opted to buy a few cans of aircraft stripper and 2 boxes of 80 grit DA. Aircraft stripper had a tough time removing the 2 layers of lacquer, it was very caustic, messy and was a pain. I got most of the paint off until I could attack it with the DA. I then used Ospho to cover the panel and convert any residual rust areas until I could shoot it with epoxy. So far, so good.

In the end, I wish I had the money to get it blasted, but I'm not in a hurry and I don't mind getting dirty. Plus, stripper, sand paper and Ospho we're alot cheaper than blasting.

Good luck on your decision, keep us posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts