Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some info about swapping in an HEI distributor for my 74 with a straight 6. I've read to look for '75-76 distributors at the junk yard for any Chevy straight 6, and I've also heard that '77-80 dist. are usable too.

I already know I need the distributor, coil, cap, rotor, and wires. I have new plugs for a '75. What wiring, if any, will I have to do? Which distributor year/make/model would be the easiest and/or best to use? How about one from a 292 truck motor?

I really don't know a lot about older engines, and I'd like to make this as straight forward as possible.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you do a search on this site there is a couple threads on this topic its pretty easy you just have to splice the wires into the old harness and don't forget to run a whole new power wire (the factory wire is a resistior wire ) good luck and I know you will be happy with the mod. I got my hei with a coil for like 60 bucks from a yard its out of a 76 pickup but most yards have cross over numbers

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
If you do a search on this site there is a couple threads on this topic its pretty easy you just have to splice the wires into the old harness and don't forget to run a whole new power wire (the factory wire is a resistior wire ) good luck and I know you will be happy with the mod. I got my hei with a coil for like 60 bucks from a yard its out of a 76 pickup but most yards have cross over numbers
that original is a resistor wire find another source of 12 v power the points sysrem uses 9 v hei is great !
waterproof almost no coil wire!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts