Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys let's hear it. What is the best battery out there and which ones should we stay away from.

I need to buy one in a hurry for my 454 BB 70 Nova. I need at least 800 CCA. I have had bad experience with Optima and would like to try something else. What would you suggest?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
i've had good luck with interstate batteries, an my van sits outside 365 days in michigan weather. in my nova that ive had since feb 2017 there is a red top optima. when i'm not driving the nova there is a good quality battery tender hooked to the optima. an on the top of the optima is a sticker with 2/11 maybe i'm running on borrowed time.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,932 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you guys. I have had bad luck with Optima red tops and in doing my research so have many others, so I think I want to steer clear from Optima on this go around.

However, I have heard great things about Interstate, but my mechanic used to be a dealer for Interstate and he said it was one of the worst batteries and most returned. So now I am confused on which to go with.

Consumer Reports and a few other websites have done their 7 best batteries and oddly enough Odyssey was ranked at the top. ACDelco was also in the top running, but no Interstate even made the list.

So, how do you guys feel about Odyssey or ACDelco batteries?

Also, I am hearing that AGM is not always the best way to go anymore and if they get drained, they are hard to salvage for the remainder of its life and it drastically lowers their life span. However a standard battery, from dead to full, this doesn't seem to take away the longevity is what I am hearing. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Im a fan of the Duralast batteries from Autozone only because if there is an issue, they exchange them pretty effortlessly. Ive had some battery places tell me "we need to charge the battery first because its dead and then we will determine if its failed and will be replaced under warranty." Autozone says "heres your new battery, thanks." Also, what Ive done is get the one with the 3 year replacement warranty and taken it back in 2.5 years saying its "dead" so I get a new one before the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,932 Posts
Im a fan of the Duralast batteries from Autozone only because if there is an issue, they exchange them pretty effortlessly. Ive had some battery places tell me "we need to charge the battery first because its dead and then we will determine if its failed and will be replaced under warranty." Autozone says "heres your new battery, thanks." Also, what Ive done is get the one with the 3 year replacement warranty and taken it back in 2.5 years saying its "dead" so I get a new one before the warranty runs out.

Mike ...

I do agree with what you say , and, a great point made.
With todays' products : being "Made In Mexico, China, overseas, or even
USA" ....... you just never know for sure.
An Example : for Diana's 2006 GMC 2500 --- about six years ago (come this July 4th) -- we went on vacation to Colorado. But, before we left town, I knew her truck Battery was going down-hill. That was in summer of 2013 ... then, just to keep from getting stranded on the road, I bought her a new truck battery FROM "BATTERIES PLUS" (a no-name-brand) . (a two - year battery).
I really thought I made a Huge Mistake, buying such a cheap battery : but, IT's Still Cranking To This DAY ............... go figure.

I just today, bought a new 'Group 24 battery from 'Wal-Mart' for our "auto-gate opener" ........... I'll see how long it will last ............
you just never know ? ? ?

... jim

( no jinx --- I hope ). lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Northstar NSB AGM 35

Okay guys let's hear it. What is the best battery out there and which ones should we stay away from.

I need to buy one in a hurry for my 454 BB 70 Nova. I need at least 800 CCA. I have had bad experience with Optima and would like to try something else. What would you suggest?
I went with a Northstar NSB AGM 35 for the exact same application (Big block 70 Nova). Great quality product from Springfield MO

·
Registered
169 Posts
Don't forget autozone and like others, will test a battery for crank amps even if you try to say its dead before the warranty soooo...... that trick won't work if they check it like there suppose to.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Been using in my truck for a while Die Hard from sears and other cars Intersate..bad experience with Autozone Batt....my 2 cents..goood luck

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been using in my truck for a while Die Hard from sears and other cars Intersate..bad experience with Autozone Batt....my 2 cents..goood luck
Thanks. Dan I am in a predicament. I keep hearing good things about Interstate and actually haven't heard anything bad, but my mechanic swears how bad they actually are. Ahh which way do I go? :turn:

·
Registered
902 Posts
+1 on Odyssey.
Interstate has always been good to me, but I've been seeing them start to come is different case lately. Looks like they have been coming from different manufacturers. Costo and Automotive shops come with different cases also which may mean Quality could be not the same.

I don't like Duracrap bateries. "I can take a crap in a box and call it guarantied"
Optima well I had one fail after 2 years but was mostly my fault. AGM batteries are more sensitive to damage from being discharged to many times. Although any battery will last longer with steady full charge away from high heat and cold.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
+1 on Odyssey.
Interstate has always been good to me, but I've been seeing them start to come is different case lately. Looks like they have been coming from different manufacturers. Costo and Automotive shops come with different cases also which may mean Quality could be not the same.

I don't like Duracrap bateries. "I can take a crap in a box and call it guarantied"
Optima well I had one fail after 2 years but was mostly my fault. AGM batteries are more sensitive to damage from being discharged to many times. Although any battery will last longer with steady full charge away from high heat and cold.
Cool thanks for the input. Any experience with ACDelco batteries? Was thinking of going with one of their basic acid style ones.

I would like to go with an Odyssey, but so expensive.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I buy Delco for my Nova, Camaros and Chevelle. They work good for me and why would you want a green or yellow battery in your Chevy at a car show?
The battery is one of the first things you see when you walk up to look under a hood of a car. Just me!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well my Optima Redtop died this last weekend. I was trying to diagnose a no spark issue and I killed it. I took it to autozone for them to charge it/test it and they said it was good after the charge but it still wouldn't crank the engine over. So now Ill be searching for a new battery. Not sure I want to buy another redtop but the battery holder I have is specifically for an Optima. I guess I could see if another cheaper battery would fit.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I buy Delco for my Nova, Camaros and Chevelle. They work good for me and why would you want a green or yellow battery in your Chevy at a car show?
The battery is one of the first things you see when you walk up to look under a hood of a car. Just me!
Cool, I like where your heads at. I need a Delco with at least 800 CCA and with the side post connectors. Got any recommendations?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts