Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys recently did new front floor pans.
Looking to put bucket seats in my 62 coupe. It came with bench. What do I need other then the seats themselves? Also are the buckets for 62 same as the rest? As far as bolt spacing goes?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You might take a look at Procar seats. They have a pretty nice looking low back bucket seat that is not to far from the style of what original factory seats looked like. You would use their mounting hardware and make some mounts. But they are readily available all day long. Going with original GM bucket seats you’ll have to look for seats for a Nova or Impala 62-64 if you want the correct seats that should or could be in a Nova. If you are lucky you might find the correct inboard seat tracks. They are not reproduced. If you can’t find the tracks you’ll have to modify some.. The outboard tracks are common and reproduced.. Then you will probably need to have the seats reupholstered..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I already have a set of bucket seats out of my 65. Which I’m not sure if they are correct to that year either. That’s why I was hoping to get the whole spacing

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
65 Nova Bucket seats are supposed to be unicorns.. narrower then the other years in order to accommodate the 65 unicorn console.. If the seats you have are 65 Nova they are pretty rare.. Do you have the tracks as well?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
65 Nova Bucket seats are supposed to be unicorns.. narrower then the other years in order to accommodate the 65 unicorn console.. If the seats you have are 65 Nova they are pretty rare.. Do you have the tracks as well?
Yes I have the tracks . But I’m not sure if they are original to a nova . Can you tell? I will post a pic

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Those are NOT '65 bucket seats. The bucket seat brackets that are advertised as '65-'67 are not '65 but are '66-'67 brackets only as I don't know of anybody that sells bucket seat brackets for the '65. I contacted Dynacorn and they finally said they had investigated and admitted they were '66-'67 only. Dynacorn changed their website to reflect that fact but other sellers haven't changed their webpage. Buyer beware. A lot of people are still selling them as "plug & Play" '65 brackets which is wrong. But, they can be modified.

I had to modify the '66-67 brackets by moving the studs in board to fit my '65 tracks on my bucket seats. I have been hesitant about posting the process that I went through because I am not to the point of reinstalling my interior and can't say 100% that what I did is right. I did a lot of measuring and positioning to get my '65 buckets to fit and be level on my bench seat floorboard. That included building some block spacers to raise the bucket seat outside tracks up to make the seats level using my bench seat floor board. To be clear, I used Classic Industries tracks they are selling as correct for the '65 seats and when they came in I compared and measured them to the rusted original tracks that I had.

Post of some of what I did. Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So if I understand correctly what you are saying is. 62 -64 are the same. 65 is one year only seat. And that 66-67 are the same?

·
13,381 Posts
So if I understand correctly what you are saying is. 62 -64 are the same 65 is one year only seat. And that 66-67 are the same?
Yes 62-64 are the same. 1965 folds straight forward instead of at an angle. They are also very slightly narrower than 62-64. '67 is different than '66 in that it has a seatback lock distinguishable by a button on the door side edge of the seatback.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes 62-64 are the same. 1965 folds straight forward instead of at an angle. They are also very slightly narrower than 62-64. '67 is different than '66 in that it has a seatback lock distinguishable by a button on the door side edge of the seatback.
If they are 67 . Will the 62 carpet kit fit? The way the seats are current mounted in the 65 is they are directly bolted on top of the carpet directly to the floor . There is no bracket whatsoever

·
13,381 Posts
It's hard to tell if they are '67 Nova or not. The covers are not '67 Nova, but could be after market applied. These could also be after market recovered Chevelle buckets. The picture of the buckets you've posted show them in a 1st generation Chevy II (62-65) 2 door sedan. No matter what year it is, this car would have had a bench seat. The way these seats are mounted in the 2 door sedan should be able to be replicated in your '62 that had a bench seat.

Bob

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's hard to tell if they are '67 Nova or not. The covers are not '67 Nova, but could be after market applied. These could also be after market recovered Chevelle buckets. The picture of the buckets you've posted show them in a 1st generation Chevy II (62-65) 2 door sedan. No matter what year it is, this car would have had a bench seat. The way these seats are mounted in the 2 door sedan should be able to be replicated in your '62 that had a bench seat.

Bob
I guess I’m trying to figure out the correct way to mount them in my 62. I definitely won’t be bolting them directly to the floorpan the way they currently are in the 65. There is no reinforcements underneath or above . I feel like if I did that and was in a wreck they would rip right out. lol

·
13,381 Posts
Sorry, I missed the part where you stated they were bolted directly to the floor. No, you don't want to do that again. I know there are members here who have done this swap, Hopefully, they'll post.

B.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess what I really need is the bolt spacing on the aftermarket bucket seat mounts. That would tell me if I can make it work with the seats I currently have regardless of the year

1 - 20 of 32 Posts