Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance. Just finished taking apart and stripping the seat frame, Now I just need the foam with the correct thickness. Where can I purchase stock automotive foam? any where that you guys recommend?

Also, is the burlap that was attached to the frame necessary?

PS: I saw foam from the classic industry catalog but its overpriced :no:

Any tips would help! thanks:rolleyes:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I dont know alot about these, but have been doing a little research in prep for doing mine in the near future.
The burlap is put there to keep the springs from digging into and tearing up the foam, some people use vinyl as well. PUI put out a video on recovering seats which can be seen here:
http://www.puiinteriors.com/index.php/techtips

Is this the front or rear seat?? Front bench seats usually require molded or sculpted foam, whereas the rears (at least on my 71') the foam just gets wrapped around the frame and hog ringed)
A local upholstery shop should be able to get some foam and sculpt it if needed. If you are somewhat amobitious you could get the foam from them and try to sculpt it yourself with a turkey knife, or so i hear.
There are different densities of foam, which is what makes me leery of buying it online, but it could be done im sure.

Definitly check out PUI's videos, they give a pretty good idea of the process.
I am interested in seeing the final product!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Fabric store foam

will work very nicely.

I ordered some very nice 2 inch foam from a specialty foam manufacturer and was less than satisfied with the feel. Then I went to the local Hancock Fabric store and purchased a sheet of 3 inch foam and voila. I now have one of the most comfortable front bench seats I have ever sat in. It rivals the foam buns for bucket seats which I have on the vert.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Im taking pictures as I go, gotta pick up hog rings today and carpet padding. Will post pics when finished :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
A couple of things I did. I replaced all the broken springs and made sure alll was whole then had it powder coated. I tied all the springs together with twine to make an even no sag seat, then used good upholstery fabric over the springs before covering with polly batting. The new stock material going over the polly batting and no old cotton batting to bunch down the line or wear thru.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this the front or rear seat??
It is a front bench seat.

Just finished painting the bench frame, looks great.

:eek: Ran into a problem thought.. got the hog rings today and my "hog ring" pliers from Harbor Freight don't open wide enough to grab the hog rings, Im gonna have to return them. I didn't even know there were different sizes.

·
Registered
26,335 Posts
NOT SURE IF ANYBODY MENTION IT BUT YOU ASKED IF THE BURLAP IS NECESSARY.
IMO, :yes: YES.
THE BURLAP WAS DESIGNED TO PREVENT YOUR FOAM FROM EVENTUALLY CUTTING THROUGH AROUND THE SPRINGS. WITHOUT IT, YOU GET SAG EVENTUALLY AND WHO WANT'S TO DO IT OVER.
NOT ME :no: AND I'M SURE NOT YOU.
GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Progress pics

Craig thanks for that tip, Im going to give it a shot.

Steeler, Im using carpet padding instead of the burlap, I think it woud prevent the foam from getting ripped?

Heres what I started with, only Surface rust and all springs were solid.

Took reference pictures of where the hog rings go.

Hit it with a wire brush then sprayed it with ospho. Let is sit overnight and it looked like this :turn:

And then hit it with the rust-oleum satin black :D

I think I got differebt seat tracks?

·
Registered
57 Posts
What is ospho?

I just got a bench seat to re-do and it has a lot of surface.
I will be sand blasting frame and I'm looking for a good coating to prevent rust.
Thanks for the pics look forward to seeing finished product.

Sorry for hi-jacking.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Finished

Finally got around to finishing the seat.

Thanks to links provided on here and help from members in SNS
I gotta say it's very tedious and time consuming if you've never done it before.
If you don't have patience & attention to detail, don't even bother trying this your self.:devil:

If you want to tackle this yourself, you will need:

Lot's of reference pics
Hog rings
Hog pliers
Vise grips ( taking out old hog rings )
Patience
band aids:mad:
Cold drinks
& needed materials ( carpet padding, foam, covers & white fluffy fabric )

Enjoy!

Carpet padding replaces the burlap

I padded the drivers & passenger side with extra carpet padding, for extra support.
Used the old foam and extra white fabric that I got from and old couch.

First Hug tie the center in the back, make sure it's centered.

Flip it on it's back, Apply body weight and hug tie the both corners first.
Check how it looks then keep hog tying. work your way to the back.

Installed seat tracks

Finished (the tape is to mark where the hardware goes, so you don't forget)

-------------------------- Now the top part -------------------------------

Let it soak up some heat, so it's easier to work with.

I padded the metal in the back, basically to protect the vinyl from hard surfaces or corners, keeping it from ripping in the future.

This driver side took some abuse, it needed a patch.

After patching, I placed a plastic bag over the foam & put the covers on.
The plastic bag just makes it so much easier. Just cut off the excess. :rolleyes:

This corners goes in first

Cut a slit to insert the wire ( hanger works fine )

Stretch the vinyl over the metal, then tap it with a hammer to break it in.
Make sure you get a nice stretch.

If you cant reach the factory holes, just double hog ring it

This corner was flabby, so I padded it with the white fabric thing. Under the plastic bag.

Finished

And I just mocked it up to get pic :D It's not perfect but hey what can I say..

·
Registered
40 Posts
The foam on my front bench seat is pretty broken down too so I wanted to figure out some options. Had thought about replacing the seats with something newer but I really like the stock look. So I did a search for "bench seat foam" thinking I might find a source for it, and came up with this thread. Glad I found it! I've picked up several good ideas on what I can do to rebuild the front bench in my '64. So thanks for posting the pics, great stuff!
And your uphostery job looks great! :yes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts