Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Huh? An automatic has the bellhousing as an integral part of the transmission case.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Are you looking for brand suggestions, or are you trying to buy a used one from someone on the forum? If you're inquiring about brand suggestions, you can check with Lakewood or JW - I'm sure they can help you. If you have a race car, I run a Browell. These companies will also custom build a bellhousing.

If you're looking for a used one...I have a JW for sale that needs to be re-cert'd - it's a universal GM (Chevy, BOP) - that I was going to use with a racing shorty PowerGlide, bit it will work with a LencoDrive or Bruno set up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bellhousing is cracked, can i not just replace that part?

i am looking to replace it soon, so i will probably end up ordering it online. i am open to buying a used one though, if the part is suitable.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
I've had Mike Stewart (Mike's Transmission) cut off the stock bellhousing to fit a JW. You can check with him to see if he thinks your case is worth doing - he may find that the crack runs further back. If you do cut the bellhousing off, I would recommend an aftermarket bellhousing, such as a JW or ATI.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
J.W. Transmissions has Ultrabell aftermarket racing bellhousings, but they aren't real cheap. You have to cut off the old one and then the new one bolts to the front pump.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
thanks for the help guys, its much appreciated!

im finding the ultrabell for a turbo 400 around $275. does that sound about right?
That's probably not bad, but you could also look for a used TH400 on CL or similar and replace the entire case. Might be cheaper.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
here are a couple of shots of the crack...

im going to take it to my mates garage tomorrow and have a better look. the ultrabell looks like the best option, depending on how far back the crack goes.

i looked on CR and found a couple that would be suitable for replacing the whole case, if needs be.

thanks guys, im learning...slowly!

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Maybe re-size those photo's so the load faster. 480 x 480 is big enough.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
After breaking an ear off my trans case (I had help from a friend) I added an Ultra-bell. Used my bandsaw for most of the cutting, then some grinding and filing to finish it--a Sawzall would work well, but I didn't own one at the time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
454 Engine
Turbo 400 Transmission
427 Square Bore Heads
Hedman Headers
2 1/2" 16 gauge pipes
Dual Warlock Mufflers
Edelbrock Performer 2-0 Aluminum Manifold
Edelbrock 800 CFM Carb
Edelbrock Valve covers and air cleaner

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Ummm, I was referring to your question about what would case the bellhousing to crack...so, I was asking about what kind of mounts are you running. Solid mounts, if the engine and trans are not properly aligned, can lead to a cracked bellhousing. Also, a cracked bellhousing can be an indication of something failing in the chassis (cracked frame, loose subframe, etc.).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts