Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the runout on my bellhousing. At the 9 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions I'm at 0.000" But at 12 o'clock I'm at 0.005" and at 3 o'clock I'm at 0.009"

So basically it looks like I'd need a .0045 offset to put me back where I'm supposed to be if 0.000" all the way around was the goal. TREMEC says that the TKO can be up to 0.005" off, but does that mean in one direction, or does it mean total? Please tell me if I'm ok or not.

If I do the 0.007" offset dowel pins does that mean that I'm moving it half of that at 0.0035" or the whole 0.007"? If it moves it 0.007" perfectly to the left then my left side would be the 'offset' side at 0.005" and my right side would be my 'zero' side, correct? If it only moves it 0.0035" then I think it'd be pretty close to dead on at (if I can do good enough math) 0.000" at 9 o'clock and 0.002" at 3 o'clock. Only problem is that the 12 and 6 positions are inherently altered as well. So fun this is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tremec has a great set of instructions with their kit that explains this. I f you don't have the instructions; The .007 is the offset of the pin. You can purchase other offsets. You are correct that you need a .0045 offset, see if you can find a set of dowels with a .005 offset and you should be close enough.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked to liberty's gears today. Sounds like I'm fine and that the faceplating gives me a little more leeway. Someone on the umtr board mentioned that everything has to flex under load and the fit ring might not be perfect. Basically that means that pretty much it will never be perfect. If it shifts fine when I race it then I'm happy

·
Registered
440 Posts
Faceplated Tko 600

Hey aron69nova

How soon until you're driving that monster ? I put in a faceplated TKO this winter with an advanced clutch but it just won't stop snowing here !!!
Give us the review once your out pulling wheelies.

Did you get your baseline clutch set up figured out? What did you end up going with ?

Have fun,
Gary

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i stayed with what it was. liberty's made some good points about the tolerances and they are confident it's fine. april 23 is the goal to race. we'll see if i make it. who knows if it pulls the wheels. i'm sure hoping to

·
Registered
308 Posts
if it goes into a mystery gear in between 3rd and 1st or 3rd and 5th you know ya better redo the alignment been there done that
Good luck with that tko
josh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts