Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Beginners build on a 72 (((Updated October 29 2012)))

Hey everyone. I recently picked up a 72 2door for 500 bucks. I knew that i wanted to do a project build for a long time and ive always loved the nova's, so i started looking around for a car after getting the wifes blessing. I found this one for 700 and managed to talk him down to 500. The car is in pretty bad shape, but it was pretty strait and had a clean title, so i figured id give it a shot. Now this project will take some time, becuase of the budget.Ok, so on to the the pics. OH yea, this is my first time at anything like this so if im not doing somthing right on the build, go easy on me, and im always willing to take any sugestions yall may have.

Here is the car on the trailor after bringing it home.

like i said, it looks pretty rough. It didnt have a motor or trans. After getting it home and decoding the VIN, It says that it was made in california and came out with the 327 factory.
It looks as though somone before me tried to make it into a drag car or somthing because the motor mounts were welded in and there was a huge hole in the trans tunnel. They had also tried to cover the holes in the fire wall with aluminum siding.:eek:
Here i have taken the front clip off to check out the subframe and what not.

you can see some of the siding left on the firewall. Ive already removed some of it.
I didnt get a pic of it, but the subframe had a huge rust hole on the drivers side by the lower A arm. Also the front and rear window areas are rusted out so bad that i can stick my whole had in between the window and the roof.
After looking everything over, and seeing what needed to be replaced, i decided id need a donar car. So i found this 72 4 door for 800 running and driving.

Now i know that some people may be thinking why tear up a perfectly good car. Well. i need parts, and this was the best way for me to get them. The subframe will go under my car. It also has power steering as mine didnt, The roof area will be cut out and used on mine, and all sorts of little things that add up quick if trying to buy new. so here i am tearing apart the white car.

After getting the doors and seats off the car, we pulle dit into the garage for more scavaging.

Now the dash on my car had been cut and drilled and totaly ruined. so we took the one off the the white car.

After getting the dash off mine i ran into alot of rust where the dash meets the area around the winshield wiper area.

So i cut out the bad areas on my car and replaced them with patch panels from the white car. I keep forgeting to take pics, but here is the dash after all the areas were replaced.

Next its on the the windshield roof area. Like i said, i keep forgeting to take pics so ill have to describe some of it..Sorry.
Anyway, the rust and rot around the windshield was bad so i knew it ll needed to be replaced. I couldnt find replacment parts on the net so i had to turn to the white car again.

After getting the peices cut out i realized that the roof on the white car was an inch shorter in width.:confused: For some reason id have thought that they would be the same. I even measured, but not geeod enough i guess. Oh well its only metal. ill have to add a filler peice.

And here it is all sanded with some rust primer on it to cover it untill im ready to do the body work and what not.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Now its on to the subframe area.

before and after

and here is the swap from the white car

Here is the newer subframe with power steering.
and here is a test fit into my car with the inline six.

Everything looks good and measures strait from coner to corner.
Now its on the the firewall. The PO had taken a sledge hamer to it to make room for a newer style hei distributer, And realy made it look like crap. So i took the body hammers and went to town smoothing it out, and leaving room for a new HEI as well.

It turned out ok i guess for a newbie..

After looking around the air cowel i noticed there was some surface rust under the dirt so i hit it with the wire wheel nd most of it fell off onto the ground, so now i need to replace that as well. i ended up cutting a patch panel from the other car as to save a few dollars.

all welds ground and then painted.
I also had to remove almost a walmart sack full of pine needles and leaves from in there. Also while i was in there i hit everything with the wire wheel and then sprayed the rust encapsulator on everything.
Stay tuned as im almost done with the rear window.

·
3,869 Posts
That's a pretty big project for a first timer. Looks like you can weld though so all the metal replacement shouldn't bog you down. You're finding out the hard way that there is a lot of items that don't interchange from a 4 door to a 2 door (the windshield being one of them). I would highly suggest that you make sure a windshield will fit before you do a ton of body work in that area.

No 327's in '72. It could have been a 307 though. Scott Windle's web site is a great resource for VIN decoding.

http://novaresource.org/

Good luck with the build.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Project car

It looks like your 4 door car came with a 2 door front seat. That is a plus
for you. good luck with your build,, ron

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the awsome comments. Its been a fun build so far, and i cant wait to turn the key for the first time.
I had a 75 2 door before i joined the army, but with all the deployments and such, i just couldnt see letting it sit for ever, so i sold it. Now that im out, i want my hot rod back..lol. So hopefully ill get this one done before long, and out crusing.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
That's a serious rebuild, thanks for all the pics and sharing!!:yes:

Great work too!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
welcome to SNS!

where are you located in OKC?

I live in OKC as well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice build bro, def a plus that u know how to weld, (I'm thinking of getting a weld machine myself to learn a little on the field, would be great for my lil project)
Knowing how to weld can save you so much in the long run. Also its fun to watch somthing you create come to life. To me it makes me feel like i contributed more to my project than paying somone else to do it. Practice and have fun with it.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE NOT THE NOVICE YOU WERE LEADING US TO BELIEVE. YOU'RE MAKIN' GOOD STRIDES AND THAT WAS A GOOD MOVE GETTIN THAT 4 DOOR OF THE ROAD FOR PARTS! :yes:
GOOD LUCK!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE NOT THE NOVICE YOU WERE LEADING US TO BELIEVE. YOU'RE MAKIN' GOOD STRIDES AND THAT WAS A GOOD MOVE GETTIN THAT 4 DOOR OF THE ROAD FOR PARTS! :yes:
GOOD LUCK!:thumbsup:
Thanks for the awsome compliment. I assure you that I am a novice at this. I have been a lurker here for a little over a year, and learned tons of things. I also learned alot by watching car shows, like powerblock and gearz and such, and i think the biggest credit was watching alot of youtube how to videos. So i guess tv doesnt rott our brain...lol.
Seriusly tho. Ive learned a wealth of information here, and id just like to contribute back in anyway that i can.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on rear window

Ok so ive got the rear window done, and that was a chore. I was pretty bad. Almost to the point of looking for another parts car for the rear roof section, But i think ive managed to pull this one off.

So this is basicly what i started with. i wasne realy sure if i was going to be able to handle this area, But with a lot of starring and and plotting and patiance i moved forward.
I bought a piece of 4x8 18 guage metal for 53bucks at the local metal shop, and after cutting out sections of bad metal at a time to keep the body lines, i would cut out a strip of the sheet metal with my cutoff wheel and tack it into place.

After i would remove a bad peice of metal i would shoot some rust encapsulator inbetween the roof and the rear support to hopefully not let this happen again.

After all the tacking was done and a solid bead was created i used my angle grinder to grind down the weld in the middle of the channel to give it that natural curved look, like it did from the factory. I know the pics arent the greatest. I was using my cell phone. Then i moved onto the outer spot welds, completed them and then used a 80grit flap wheel to smooth it out. The areas on the sail panel, i had to heat up with a hot knife and resperator to move the lead out of the way so i can clean it up and weld that area as well.

Once all is said and done in that department, this is what i ended up with, and i dont think it turned out so bad. The hardest parts was keeping the overlap on the top part the same as the factory was.

Oh and one other thing. No matter how small the project, if your going to use the grinder, use gloves. I can hurt a little bit.

Untill next time. Im in the process of cleaning up the doors and putting the door handles back on as the previus owner removed them and filled the holes with bondo. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great build! Keep the pic's coming, it's always refreshing to see someone restore a car and encourage us with our project! Looks like a few battle scars to show you did the work! At least those will heal themselves! I'm always getting my finger to close to the wire wheel! LOL!

Mitch

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Small Update

I havent realy had a lot of time to work on the car. Life always seems to get in the way. lol. I have done a few things. Ive finished getting the floor pans put in. I had to buy a small metal break to get the angles i needed for the toe board. Ive got a few pics and ill try to upload them tonight.

Also, i scored an 99 silverado with the 5.3l and 4l60e tranny for 800 bucks. It was rolled, but i dont need the body, just the important stuff. Ive got a long way to go before i get to mess with the enigne. Thats all i have for now, I will try to post some pics tonight when i get home.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looks like a good start so far. My first big project was similar in the fact that it was a pretty big undertaking and it turned out great, so maybe that will be some motivation for you. It looks like the donor car has def. paid for itself as well.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts