Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how many of you have heard of this method of painting a car. It's crazy labour intensive, but it sure looks better. I also understand this is completely crazy, but let me know what you think anyway!! lol

Trim will be going back on once I clean it up and buy new clips for it.

As a reference, this is the link for the information on doing this: http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

Before

After

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
We've had a few members clean their rides up using that method. Makes for a nicer presentation for sure. You did good.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I checked out the link and I see nothing wrong if you are wanting a low bucks job that looks good.If the opportunity arises I will give it a try.The 3D photo deal where you look at the pics. cross eyed works.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figure the savings in paint can to pay for all that expensive chrome that I want replaced!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound after I did the final wet sand to make it smoother. Then I used the Turtle Wax Polishing Compound to make it a bit shinier. I wasn't really satisfied with the results and my friend gave me some Maquire's to toss on there. I put that on and polished it off and wowzer did it ever shine.

He also suggested to wax her up again and build it up a bit and that may make it shinier as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
yes............

looks sweet.........
it is exactly what we are gonna do on our 64 wagon but im gonna swap the colors and flake the roof ,may spray the roof with my harbor freight gun and a borrowed compressor..
post up some pix when the trim is back on
craig

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks sweet.........
it is exactly what we are gonna do on our 64 wagon but im gonna swap the colors and flake the roof ,may spray the roof with my harbor freight gun and a borrowed compressor..
post up some pix when the trim is back on
craig
Yeah I am thinking that I am going to go with an off-white/cream color roof with holographic metal flake to get that rainbow effect. I will be throwing down the cash for that though. I'm not too handy with a paint gun. Only a roller!!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thats a 4 door clone of my 63 wagon.
My wagons paint job cost less than $50. Rustoleum safety red w/ gloss white roof. I think i have about half a gallon of the safety red left over.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice!! Yeah the paint actually came to around 26.00 for 2 pints and I have about 1/2 of one can left. The rest of the money was for the supplies (tape, paint tray, extra rollers, sandpaper, etc).

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
These paint jobs are cool and a great way to save money with some elbow grease!

Great job!:yes:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
DesertDeuce, did you roll it on or spray?
Sprayed with one of those 10 dollar harbor freight guns. I threw out the gun when I was done with it, but the rustoleum cleans up real nice with mineral spirits. I recommend reducing it before you spray unless you have a serious air compressor like we do.
I wasnt going to go through that 10 roller coats and wet sanding bull crap so instead of taking a week doing all that I spent about an hour prepping, spayed it. About an hour and a half after a sprayed it I took it on a 50 mile drive and had no issues.

I didnt wet sand or buff and it looks pretty good. Its about on par with a maaco paint job and alot more durable. I only painted it to survive the north east winter while I was daily driving it and was planning to repaint it last spring but im happy with how it came out - so its permanent untill I completely go through the car again.
It might look a little hazy but I guarentee its not its because I dont ever wash it - when I do wash it - it looks like the day i painted it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
paint job

:turn::turn::turn::turn:

I would of left the faded old paint(only original once)

But if shineys what you wanted thats what youve got now

·
Registered
525 Posts
did you just spray one coat?did you just prep,spray,and nothing else?i am planning to do this with my car.

Sprayed with one of those 10 dollar harbor freight guns. I threw out the gun when I was done with it, but the rustoleum cleans up real nice with mineral spirits. I recommend reducing it before you spray unless you have a serious air compressor like we do.
I wasnt going to go through that 10 roller coats and wet sanding bull crap so instead of taking a week doing all that I spent about an hour prepping, spayed it. About an hour and a half after a sprayed it I took it on a 50 mile drive and had no issues.

I didnt wet sand or buff and it looks pretty good. Its about on par with a maaco paint job and alot more durable. I only painted it to survive the north east winter while I was daily driving it and was planning to repaint it last spring but im happy with how it came out - so its permanent untill I completely go through the car again.
It might look a little hazy but I guarentee its not its because I dont ever wash it - when I do wash it - it looks like the day i painted it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I did it too on a 72 I had, and I plan on doing it on my camaro in this color. Looks good for the money
before

after

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
did you just spray one coat?did you just prep,spray,and nothing else?i am planning to do this with my car.
Yes(but a couple spots got 2 for good luck ie lower quarters and tailgate jambs), yes, and yes. My wagon is a super straight car so I only had to use a small amount of body filler on it. (It was parked in 79 untill last year) I smoothed that and just went over the whole body with a DA sander so the new paint would have something to stick to. I didnt use any laquer thinner or anything to clean the body. We have a badass air compressor at our shop so it didnt need to be reduced, but we reduced the white for the roof playing around. Its a lot of work spraying it unreduced but we didnt get any runs and we got a nice even coat. It was just like spraying undercoating. I could probably wet sand and buff my paint job and take it to shows and people would think it was some real nice single stage paint.

Because I only used one thick *** coat on the whole car the drivers fender is slightly darker because it was an original paint brown fender. The rest of the car was either its original Autumn gold or grey primer. So what your using as a base coat will effect your final color.

Its cheap and dont expect it to be perfect. BUT if you take your time and do it right it will turn out very nice. Like I said you could put mine up against any single stage maaco paint job.I couldnt validate perfect paint on a car I was just going to beat the crap out of daily driving and racing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts