Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
ummmm....very nice but I dont believe it is a Hemi....normally on hemi heads the spark plug is placed in the exact center of the combustion chamber which is why the plugs are normally in the center of the valve covers...this head has the plugs seemingly in the regular position for SBC's....so I could be worng but I dont think it has a hemi head..:)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Nice conversation piece, but whats it really worth? Prototype stuff is interesting but usually ends up sitting on an engine stand in the middle of a high priced cocktail party in a mock garage (with black and white tile floors) with a bunch of guys with seven figure paychecks and bored wifes.......

·
Registered
89 Posts
Igosplut said:
Nice conversation piece, but whats it really worth? Prototype stuff is interesting but usually ends up sitting on an engine stand in the middle of a high priced cocktail party in a mock garage (with black and white tile floors) with a bunch of guys with seven figure paychecks and bored wifes.......
lol.....Yea I agree. I would be afraid to run if I had the coin to buy it. Would make a bad little setup in an early first or second gen Nova tho.....

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Where are all these rare engine coming from all of a sudden. A couple of weeks ago there was an original, all aluminum, Yenko ZL-1 complete engine for sale. The owner claimed it was one of Don's personal spare engines. Now this 302 semi-hemi.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
there was a thread a while back about a guy who died and owned a warehouse and some tractor trailers that were filled to the brim with TONS of stuff... i'm wonderin' if some of the ads we've been seeing are from his collection.

this engine is said to have come from a museum... think i read that right

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
man for a small block, it sure has a lot of valve cover bolts.....
must be some kinda special head...porcupine?????

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
1965proSTREET said:
man for a small block, it sure has a lot of valve cover bolts.....
must be some kinda special head...porcupine?????

It could very well have a canted valve(porcupine/rat) style head on that SB which could even be called a "Semi Hemi" style head as the BBC head is sometimes refered too...BUT that doesnt make it a Hemi...so that ad at best is a little missleading:)

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
JohnnyRotten said:
there was a thread a while back about a guy who died and owned a warehouse and some tractor trailers that were filled to the brim with TONS of stuff... i'm wonderin' if some of the ads we've been seeing are from his collection.

this engine is said to have come from a museum... think i read that right
I just read about this guy in a mag on the newstand now. Sorry cant remeber the exact name of the mag. The guy bought stuff his whole life and started storing it. Well to make along story short he died and the guy who bought it all is opening one trailer at a time and sorting it carefully. He has found a Yenko Camaro and over 130 complete engines! He thinks there is a Yenko Nova still in one of the trailers because he found parts for one. The guy that died would seperate the original engine from all the cars to prevent theft! Apparently he has enough NOS parts to open a dealership! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I read through some of that over on the SuperCar Board about 3 or 4 months ago.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

I remember reading through it and looking at the pics and I was blown away and I am sure that I don't even realize 99% of the rarity of the parts !!!

I think the whole thing sold for like 2.5 million or something, but is worth about 5 times that?! (I can't remember exactly)

The cars that are in the tractor trailers are amazing, but the PARTS !!! :eek:

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Those were the articles about the guy in Greenbay, WI. None of those articles including the Hot Rod one mention anything like that engine. From what I have read on the boards and such, he only had production type things and a some aftermarket goodies.

People die every day. You never know what some have them have come across in their lifetimes. My Dad has a friend that has a complete 41' Willys just sitting in his garage. It's all original. Won't sell it but won't do anything with it either. He's had it for 30yrs. He's gonna die someday and I want it!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I knew I'd seen that motor before, but I had to look for where. I think this is the origin of this motor. This is a scan of a page of a special issue of Popular Hotrodding's " 25 Years of Popular Hotrodding Magazine" (1987). 32 articles ranging from the first one they ran to this one. The publication date of this one is May 1986. Some people might know Al's name, or even bought something from him (thats where my 69 ZL1 block came from). If you can't read the caption on the picture, it states

"If you don't recognize this engine, it's no suprise. Engine is one of few hemi-headed small block Chevys in existence and sports engine crossram-style carburetion system especially fabricated for this engine"

On the next page, it addresses this motor saying:

"Al's special passion lies with the 69 Camaro. Future plans call for the assembly of the ultimate Z28 featuring four-wheel disk brakes and the Hemi-headed-small-block along with every option available on the car including the fold down rear seat ands rear window defogger"

So the guy selling the motor on Ebay saying that: "This engine was in a 1969 Z-28 at the Garret Museum in Tennessee" and "Rick's Camaro's will have that car on display at the Camaro show in PA coming up shortly. If you get the chance to go see it I suggest you do so." It's not a big leap to say this is probably the same motor, and thats the same car the article was refering to.........

Attachments

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I love the owner's quote about the Yenko camaro. went something like... "i don't see what the big deal is, its just a cheap a$$ camaro with a big motor" !!! :rolleyes:

He had a good point though. Any old Nova or Camaro can be easily built to surpass the performance of those built by Yenko or Motion or whoever, and it won't cost you 6 figures either. If i had the money I'd build one myself, it would have a nice 572 crate motor nestled between the frame rails. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
porcupine head

the engine i believe belongs to al maynard jr. he wheels and deals in lots of high performance parts in michigan. his collection of cars and parts is unbelievable!!
when i was at his house, he had that engine in a 69 camaro which was loaned to the garrett museum from him. --it was the same car i seen at his house. he also had another one on an engine stand and enough parts or almost enough to build a third. he is a very nice down to earth guy and great guy to know if looking for performance parts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts