Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get the Nova out for the 1st time the other day. I decided to trickle charge the battery since it had been sitting so long. I have a red top Optima. I set my charger to 2 amp trickle and let it go overnight. the charger is supposed to shut off when done. I came out in the morning and decided not to take it to work because severe storms were forcasted. I went in the garage to unplug the charger and I hear this hissing sound. Turns out Optima batteries have specific charging instructions IE: <1 amp trickle.

The hissing was the water boiling inside the battery and venting. I ruined a $130 battery because I didn't read the instructions. It's just charging a battery how hard is that??

I decided to try and have it warrantied and it turns out I bought it 3 years ago today, last day for full replacement. I left the lights and radio on all morning to drain it down. I took it in and they tested it. It failed. I got a new one no charge. This isn't the most ethical thing I know but I have been having problems with it since last fall.

Since I saved the money from the battery I will now be buying the right charger for the Optimas. I have a few to choose from ranging from $50 to $130.

Read the instructions even if you have done it 100 times before. I got lucky nothing got damaged besides the battery.

Lewis

·
Registered
442 Posts
You're just lucky you didn't wait 1 more day!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I find it hard to beleive any battery can't take a 2 amp trickle charge without damage. What happens when you drive it and the alternator is working even the slightest amount? Glad you got it replaced and thanks for posting this. I can't use a battery like that for my applications and now I won't spend the money to learn that fact.......LOL. I'll stay with my old wet cell Cheapo batteries I guess. RM

·
4,534 Posts
I've got one of those Vector battery chargers w/the microprocessor that automaticly adjusts the charge to the maximum charge w/o damaging the battery. I think it reads the resistance or something and it stops when done or if there is a problem or if the battery is bad it will tell you that as well. It can also fully drain a battery and then charge it again burning off any crystals that have formed inside the battery (24 hour process) It also tests alternators/charging systems. It was like $60-75 if my memory serves.

Miles:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does Optima make a gel type battery? Because as far as I know all gel batteries have to be charged differently. An AGM battery should be the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts