Chevy Nova Forum banner

BBC vs. SBC

• BBC

Votes: 216 33.1%
  • SBC

Votes: 387 59.3%
  • Straight 6

Votes: 17 2.6%
  • Don't care as long as I can spin them.

Votes: 33 5.1%

• Total voters
181 - 200 of 235 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
i dunno i smoked my buddys 454 boat anchor with my 355...granted his car is a biscayne fully dressed and mine is a 2800# nova
Mohammed Ali said it best...
Float like a butterfly sting like a bee!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
bbc vs sbc

Im going to have to go with cubes simply due to the fact that a big block came with the car and wife's ok with going 540 stroker torque is where it's at.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
The sbc offers good power per dollar. But there is no replacement for displacement. I just upgraded my bottom end (and only the bottom end) from a 427 to a 496. It made a REAL positive differance. More torque and more streetable. Only wish I went bigger.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am running 327. Small blocks are what I grew up with(all I could afford). I would think If you want a cruiser that sips on gas "Straight 6" with OD. If you want a budget performance engine then "Small Block". If you want Max HP and Torque then "Big Block" nothing smaller then a 496.

·
Registered
289 Posts
BBC vs SBC

As long as it brings a smile to your face its works for me. I love the 427 but the more I think about it. I am going to keep my sbc in 1st gen and buy a 69 pr 70 and stuff a bbc in it. I think that is my preference today, LOL. My 70 Chevelle went from 355 to 427 and best change I ever made to it. My 64 Nova handles great and corners awesome with the sbc.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Just replaced my AFR headed 11 to 1 383 with a correct L78 396. Horsepower wise they are both about the same, but I get more looks and comments with the big block. Something about the solid lifter clacking and the deep rumble that gets your juices flowing, if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Size Matters

Although I am sticking with my Mark IV 454, and will only replace it with a 502,
I have a 350 on stand-by.
The Big Block takes up more room, although it does fit.
A cowl hood is pretty much a necessity with the Big Block,
for both carburetor clearance, as well as heat removal.
Headers are a problem with the original steering box placement.
There are millions of small blocks out there,
and plenty of parts to make them spin quickly.
Overall, I gave up on cornering with the Big Iron Block and Heads.
An aluminum 427 would be a dream come true for me, but the aluminum LS engines are the wave of the future, although if I had one it would be carbureted.
No More Computers For Me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the site 24 years young. I get all my info from here and I salute the veterans for your knowledge. 71 Nova 355, stage II bow-tie heads, crazy cam. Love every minute of it. :salute:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know the thread is a bit old....

I think it all depends on what YOU want to do with the car. Keep in mind I was 20 or so at the time, and trading was the only way to get great parts. Years ago I ran a 71' chevelle. I had a very well built high horsepower 383, and I had a mild 396. At the track the 383 would make faster times thru the 1/4 than the big block. but at the end of the 1/4 the 383 was almost out of power. When I would run the 396, it would still be pulling like a sob.
When I wasnt racing on the track, I kept the bbc in it. It was a whole lot more fun than the sbc. Girls love that feeling when you take off, and it takes their breath away....:rolleyes::cool::D:devil:

Personally, I love the sound and feel of a bbc. Nothing like it in the world.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just finished installing my BBC project this year, had SBC's before, wanted to try a BBC for a change. I used a TCI clip and even with the BBC in it, I still have more room to work than I did with a SBC in the stock shock towers. Engine is .030 over, balanced w/ roller thumper cam.

Attachments

181 - 200 of 235 Posts