Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to be cheap (which never pays off) I'm wanting to figure out the difference between the two. its fairly easy to find factory sbc or 6-cyl fan shrouds around here, but I'm running a '70 with a 454.

I'm wondering if I can pay 20 bucks for a used sbc shroud locally or have to pay 100 bucks for a new bbc shroud from a restoration place. I'm running a 4-core GM radiator with a single 16" electric fan on the back, so I'm not really worried about fan blade clearance, I just don't know the difference in how they bolt up.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
If you are running an electric fan that is attached directly to the radiator, and the gap between the blades and the fan is less than 3/4", I doubt that the shroud will do anything, unless you also have another fan mounted at the end of the shroud. Just my opinion though. My Permacool fan said to leave the shroud off. It is mounted with about 1/2" gap from the rad.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
What Dan said is right...however to answer your question there is a difference between the BB and the SB shroud. The BB shroud is offset towards the passenger side of the car due to the offset frame mounts used in the BB cars...So if your using the correct BB frame mounts in your car then you will need a BB shroud.:)

BUT with that said for your setup due to the Electric fan either would work its just that if you are using the BB frame mounts your motor wont line up correctly with the shroud...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts