Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my 454/400 in the 74 and now im trying to figure out the driveshaft and yoke. Turns out that i have a truck short tail th400 so i will need a yoke with a counter bore. The stock driveshaft seems to be at a good length so i was hoping to use it and just switch out the yoke and use a conversion u joint as well. My question is how much does the yoke have to slide into the tail housing. I understand the 1 for movement but i haven't found info about the inserted length.

The pic is of the stock drive shaft and yoke. The rear is loaded as well

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slide the yoke into the tail until it bottoms out ,them pull it out 1", this should be the length that you want in the tail.
I understand that but i dont have th400 yoke. So im wondering if i get get the same length yoke and just get one that is counterbored. The trans i have is only an inch longer than the 350. I guess i was just worried that the yoke would slip off the splines if the counter bored wasnt accounted for

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Sorry, but I don't understand what counterbore are you talking about.

You just need a yoke that matches the spline on output shaft and will accept the u-joint on your existing driveshaft.

You should have 3-4" of splines engaged when it is in iit's normal running position with an extra inch of travel towards the trans to allow for movement of the differential and spring wrap up under acceleration.

The splined part of the yoke is splined all the way from the open end that slides over the output shaft, to the opening next to the u-joint. The only counterbore in a yoke is a small area at the end of the bore by the u-joint where an expansion plug is installed to prevent lube oil or trans fluid leaking out.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts