Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1974 nova with a 454/400 swap. Have the engine and trans in. The trans is a th400 short tail that i found out it was a out of a truck. Got the counterbore yoke. Just installed the trans crossmember but its not lining up. I know the that the engine and trans is supposed to be cocked to the passenger side. But is there a way to check this or push the engine over.

I hope i have the right engine mounts.

Engine mounts moroso 62510
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-62510

Stands
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gmk-4020-335694p

Transmission mount moroso 62600
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-62600

Crossmember
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-BB-T...mber-Trans-Support-Cross-Member-/331388014827

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Engine mount stands

Not sure but see if there is a right and left stand. May need to switch if there is an offset?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Some of the review comments about the Goodmark Engine Mount Brackets concern me. One says that the engine was moved forward, which it shouldn’t be but from your picture it appears that’s yours has moved back? Another stated the engine was lower?

It was suggested to me by others on the forum to use OER K701 Engine Frame Mounts. The taller of the two goes on the drivers side. As a result, the engine will be shifted slightly to the right but maintains its position front to back so as not to interfere with accessories up front. The transmission mount will require drilling to align with the slight move to the right only.

My 454 is going in over the next week or so. I’ll let you know how mine works out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So yes. The mounts are o. the right side. Note sure what i can do. I havent read that i would need to jack up or push the engine in place.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the review comments about the Goodmark Engine Mount Brackets concern me. One says that the engine was moved forward, which it shouldn’t be but from your picture it appears that’s yours has moved back? Another stated the engine was lower?

It was suggested to me by others on the forum to use OER K701 Engine Frame Mounts. The taller of the two goes on the drivers side. As a result, the engine will be shifted slightly to the right but maintains its position front to back so as not to interfere with accessories up front. The transmission mount will require drilling to align with the slight move to the right only.

My 454 is going in over the next week or so. I’ll let you know how mine works out.
Good info. I read the reviews and pretty much gambled. I couldn't get a clear answer so i mated the parts myself. Its si close and it looks as if on the passenger side the engine can be lifted in the stands which may be the room i need. At this point im thinking of using a ratchet strap and pull the engine over to line up with the crossmember.

Oh dont know if you done this b4 but put cardboard on your oil pan. I dented mines up pretty bad.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure what its supposed to look. The trans is a short tail. It could be the engine mounts.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just got my engine and trans in a few days ago. I haven’t lined up the trans mount yet to see how that ended up but reading some other posts had me concerned that my engine is positioned slightly forward as well as to the passenger side. At a glance that appears to be the case so I test fitted the clutch bellcrank which is specifically for big blocks. At first I thought there was a problem because the bellcrank shaft doesn’t sit perpendicular to the frame. It pivots forward at the engine end, but the lower lever is twisted to square up the connection to the clutch fork. That indicates to me that the engine is positioned as it should be.
As for the transmission mount, I’ll set the crossmember in place and lift the transmission with a rope through the shifter hole. Hopefully it will center itself and I can alter the crossmember as required.
It would seem that you really do need all of the big block specific parts to make the swap go smoothly. Differences in some of the items are not easy to spot, but fit is the true test.
I won’t get back to the crossmember for a couple of weeks. I’ll let you know how that goes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Since my last post here I’ve been scouring the site and beyond to find out what to expect for engine position of the Big Block in 3rd Gens. I found the following article that confirms, in my case for a 72, that the engine will sit slightly forward and to the passenger side.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/big-block-camaro-nova-engine-swap-guide/
Engine Mounts

Three different frame mounts were used: six-cylinder mounts, small-block (SB) mounts, and big-block (BB) mounts. Certain 1967 Camaro and 1968 Camaro/Nova mounts differ from 1969 mounts. Any of the engines physically fit any of the mounts, but the location and “angle” of the engine changes. BB frame mounts have height differences between left and right sides. They also place the engine slightly farther forward in the engine compartment and move it toward the passenger side.
This doesn’t mean that a BB won’t fit on SB frame mounts. It works, but the engine sits farther to the rear of the compartment, while the driver side of the engine sits slightly lower and farther to the driver side. This can create header issues and makes for tight firewall clearance. To gain engine setback (more rear-weight bias), you can use this system. Or to get radical, use a set of six-cylinder frame mounts, which provide even more setback. The firewall sometimes requires hammer surgery for distributor clearance, plus the bellhousing bolts become almost impossible to reach

1 - 11 of 11 Posts