Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to start my 454 after way to long in storage. When I first put it back together a did not use a shim because I'm certain there wasn't one in there before. Sounds noisy with no shim, with a whole shim or with a shim only on the outer bolt. I've watched a couple videos and read multiple articles but I can't seem to get it. Most places say .030-.060 gap in between the teeth. Some pictures show to check the gap at the tip of the gear mesh and some show to check it at the side. I've seen enough different methods that I'm getting confused. The flexplate is in great shape, was replaced at one time, and it's a GM permanent magnet mini starter. I had this exact starter and flexplate in the car before it went in storage and was fine.no matter how I shim it the noise seems the same. If I had to guess I need to close the gap, I tried a .030 shim on the outside bolt ( which should tighten the gap) and it seemed the same. I hate to put a thicker shim in there. Has anyone had to add a lot of shims to only one bolt? There is no provision on these starters for the stater bracket like the old huge factory starters used. I'd really really appreciate some help, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update, I did stack shims on the outside bolt about .060" I hated to do it but it helped

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've seen a few instances lately that mention they had to mill the pad section of the starter nose to get it correct and get the starter close enough and avoid having to shim the outboard bolt a bunch just to get it closer..

Appears it comes down to either quality control is lacking ot something is lost in the metric to english conversion math since most all of it is imported nowdays..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts