Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was just wondering what would be faster a small block or a big block pushing the same horsepower.
or a 400 big block vs a 400 small block

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If both had equal HP the BB would still have more torque. If you have a heavy car and an automatic trans that would normally make it run quicker ETs. JMO, RM

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
If they had the exact same power levels? SB for sure. Less rotating mass, less weight.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Ideally you can get better flowing heads for big blocks (out of the box). So a 400small block vs. a 402 big block...so with similar builds, the big block would end up the leader, because with better heads it can breathe better and make more power.

But as per your question...it's a toss up.
IF they both make the same power, and they're both similar cubes, the outcome will end up being quite similar as well.
The big block uses longer rods and has a larger bore, while the small block is lighter weight and has a larger stroke.

Now, if you were comparing a 400hp 350 small block vs. a 400hp 454 then I would definitely say the 454 would win. It will be making LOADS more torque at all RPMS...not to mention 400hp is cheaper to get out of a 454 than a 350!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Big Blocks are awesome, but they weigh more and are harder on the rest of your drivetrain then a small block would be.

Small Blocks are good enough for a street car though in my opinion. Look at what cars today are running. Its all about haveing the right combination of parts etc.

Build a 406 SBC, that should be enough for your needs. They can be built 500hp N/A add some juice and your 600-650hp area :eek: :eek: :D

You won't have any clearance issues with the small block either.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
i was just wondering what would be faster a small block or a big block pushing the same horsepower.
or a 400 big block vs a 400 small block
almost sound like:

"WHATs HEAVIER A POUND OF FEATHERS OR A POUND OF BRICKS???????" LOL!

i think u would have to take into consideration the TQ rating also, but if both are the same HP/TQ, & in the same car. i think the small block, only cause of weight. just my .02 cents

JOHN

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think a 1968 "396" was the only year the motor was ACTUALLY 396ci.

1969 and After "396's" were actually 402ci??

It was either 1969 or 1970 where Chevrolet lied about the actually cubic inches of the "396 "motor.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have had several nice small blocks and they were fun. I'm on my first BB now though and I must say I am sold on BBC's. I doubt I will ever build another small block.

Any of you guys that don't want big blocks just send your bb parts my way thanks.;)

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Sure you can build a 454 and using lots of factory parts make around 500HP. But what you really need is a 283 block bored out .125 with a set of 11 to 1 pistons a 30-30 cam, camel hump heads, an LT-1 intake and a Carter AFB. Be sure to set'er up loose do it'll rev good. That should make around 1.6 hp per cubic inch for a total of 500HP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts