Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alot of my buddies were using a PF35 AC filter. It's a longer filter and holds more oil that's why. So now the PF35 is NLA. PF1218 is the new #. I go to a Pep Boys and an Advance Auto and the 1218 in one store is different than the other. What filter would you use. And for the BB guys what filter are you using. I prefer AC Delco. Heres the pics: Later. Mark!

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,057 Posts
Hi 68chevyll,

I use the PF1218's on my Novas and I noticed the same thing when I bought some new ones last year. I did a Google search that turned up an AC Delco technical bulletin about the PF1218's (and about 8 other AC filters) that were recently re-designed.

Of the filters you have pictured, the one on the left is the old design and the one on the right is the new design.

That technical bulletin is no longer listed online (it was from May 2005) but I saved a copy on my computer. It reads:

AC Delco introduces the next generation of Duraguard oil filters. The oil filter redesign will be a rolling change with no price impact. This advanced filter technology allows the filter to function better while being lighter and more easily recycled. An improved nylon core provides more open area in the core, yielding more filtering area for improved flow in a smaller canister, while maintaining the same capacity as the larger canister. Increased efficiency, higher collapse strength and higher burst strength are the result of a roll seam design. The redesigned concave base plate allows for the accomodation of the combination relief and anti-drain back valve, while incorporating a raised threaded flange.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
They still make a PF35L, which is just a bit longer than the old PF35. I decided to use the PF35L on my car since I don't have to worry about how long the filter is. :)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ray_McAvoy said:
Hi 68chevyll,

I use the PF1218's on my Novas and I noticed the same thing when I bought some new ones last year. I did a Google search that turned up an AC Delco technical bulletin about the PF1218's (and about 8 other AC filters) that were recently re-designed.

Of the filters you have pictured, the one on the left is the old design and the one on the right is the new design.

That technical bulletin is no longer listed online (it was from May 2005) but I saved a copy on my computer. It reads:
Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts