Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for pics of Novas to get an idea of ride height. I'm getting ready to put some Moroso springs in and I'm hoping you can help get me close to a good ride height on the first install. I know that might be a reach, but it's worth a try. I've got a 70 with a stock front suspension. The weight of the front is 1590. I currently have stock springs that are cut and it limits the front end travel too much.
Thanks Ron

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Have you ordered the springs yet? I have do alot of internet searching and in so very old posts on some other sites I found a lot of trial and error. 1st thing is the weight. It seems like you have that. was that with you out of the car and the B-pillars at the edge of the scale or were you on 4 corner scales? I did as I found...I ordered the next spring up from my weight a lighter spring. It still sat like a 4X4. you will need to drive it around until the front end settles. Mine came down a lot in the first few days and then some more after time. I have not taken then out since to cut them, and I don't know if I will. If you are going to cut them use a cutting wheel. Do NOT use heat or torch.

on edit; your front end weight sems kind of light for a BB. Is your car all steel, iron or aluminum...ect.ect.ect.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you ordered the springs yet? I have do alot of internet searching and in so very old posts on some other sites I found a lot of trial and error. 1st thing is the weight. It seems like you have that. was that with you out of the car and the B-pillars at the edge of the scale or were you on 4 corner scales? I did as I found...I ordered the next spring up from my weight a lighter spring. It still sat like a 4X4. you will need to drive it around until the front end settles. Mine came down a lot in the first few days and then some more after time. I have not taken then out since to cut them, and I don't know if I will. If you are going to cut them use a cutting wheel. Do NOT use heat or torch.

on edit; your front end weight sems kind of light for a BB. Is your car all steel, iron or aluminum...ect.ect.ect.
That weight is with me in it and we tried to get it at the pillars. This car has a glass front end and we took as much weight out as we could. What does "I ordered the next spring up from my weight a lighter spring" mean?

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
It means that if your cars weight is 1560 and the catalog says there are a few weight choices. These are examples only.

Choice 1 being 1440- 1500
Choice 2 being 1500- 1580
Choice 3 being 1580- 1620

Choose #1

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not a big block or small block for that matter.:p But my front end weight is almost identical to yours, I went with the moroso trick spring #47165 which is heavier then the chart calls for (I wanted a slower rising front, still 60s good). I ended up cutting 2 1/2 coils off them, I could of went 3 but I don't have an enclosed trailer and this is as low as I could get and still load it on an open trailer (dumb reason to pick a ride height).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It means that if your cars weight is 1560 and the catalog says there are a few weight choices. These are examples only.

Choice 1 being 1440- 1500
Choice 2 being 1500- 1580
Choice 3 being 1580- 1620

Choose #1
So you're saying you went with a lighter spring than what the book said and it was still too high, right? I've got a set of Moroso 47150's coming from a guy that already cut one coil off. I guess I'll try them and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What spring do you have and do you know what the front end weighs? I have a 26 front tire. Yours looks like a 28.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83528
The link above answers your spring and weight question.

The pics above are two dif size front tires.
The first pic with the black rear rims, the front are 24's
The second pic is current, i switched to 26's

The front sits 24.5 inches from the ground to the fender lip. I cut 1.5 coils off of mine when they were brand new.

How old are the USED springs you are waiting for. That will affect performance! Good Luck

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey Ventura 7211. What engine are you running if it isn't a big block or a small block?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83528
The link above answers your spring and weight question.

The pics above are two dif size front tires.
The first pic with the black rear rims, the front are 24's
The second pic is current, i switched to 26's

The front sits 24.5 inches from the ground to the fender lip. I cut 1.5 coils off of mine when they were brand new.

How old are the USED springs you are waiting for. That will affect performance! Good Luck
I'm not sure how old the springs are. I think they are brand new and he didn't like the ride height after he cut them. He wound up getting a lighter spring. How much of a difference did the switch in tire height make in your reaction times?

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm not sure how old the springs are. I think they are brand new and he didn't like the ride height after he cut them. He wound up getting a lighter spring. How much of a difference did the switch in tire height make in your reaction times?

Thanks
Ron

This is almost an Embarrassing answer but... I dont know yet....

I have been down the track 4 times since i switched tire sizes, amongst other changes... i have not made a clean pass yet, broke 2 transmissions, Just installed the third, pulled the motor out and installed the spare 454 and even put the bottle back in..
We have not had good luck so far this year.... this friday night will answer alot... I HOPE! :confused:

Where in Maryland do you race Ron?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is almost an Embarrassing answer but... I dont know yet....

I have been down the track 4 times since i switched tire sizes, amongst other changes... i have not made a clean pass yet, broke 2 transmissions, Just installed the third, pulled the motor out and installed the spare 454 and even put the bottle back in..
We have not had good luck so far this year.... this friday night will answer alot... I HOPE! :confused:

Where in Maryland do you race Ron?
I race at Capitol because it's close to where I live. I know you run at Cecil and I battle with some of the killers at Cecil on Saturdays at Capitol. What transmissions are you using?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Ron I have never raced at Cecil. Watched several times.
I run at 75 80 now a days. Mason Dixon as a second.
I have only raced at Capitol on a private track rental day.
The two transmissions that broke were th350's. The new one is
A glide with a brake.

Picture of my car last summer at Capitol ( The old 454)

Heres a pic of the trans....

This picture was taken just a couple weeks ago @ 75/80 right before I oiled the track down with trans fluid... for the second time in one week..... :eek: :eek: I SLEPT at the tree and broke the trans.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts