Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I think I'm doing my homework correctly and decide to get these Fel-Pro head gaskets from Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FPP-1037&autoview=sku

Everything in the product description says it will fit my Mark IV block ("Fit all series blocks"). The documentation in the packets say for a MK IV block 3 additional holes must be added to the block. Just like the big holes on the top of the deck.

It also says that "These gaskets must be used on blocks the have all 3 lower coolant holes.

Has anyone used these gaskets on their MK IV BB?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Ok, so I think I'm doing my homework correctly and decide to get these Fel-Pro head gaskets from Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FPP-1037&autoview=sku

Everything in the product description says it will fit my Mark IV block ("Fit all series blocks"). The documentation in the packets say for a MK IV block 3 additional holes must be added to the block. Just like the big holes on the top of the deck.

It also says that "These gaskets must be used on blocks the have all 3 lower coolant holes.

Has anyone used these gaskets on their MK IV BB?
Sure have. Don't use them on aluminum heads or they'll press right into them.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
with out being there.. it looks right to me... it lists the gasket to fit all the MKIV blocks.... dont say anything about the MVV or MKVI blocks....

dates of application list 1965 through 1990....

so it would seem to exclude MKV and MKVI blocks..

also it lists it as suitable for aluminum heads with minimum brinelling

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was to busy to check into this todat. But this is what I am talking about. Check out the ends of the gaskets, new gasket does not have the big holes like the old ones, and in between the center and lower row of head bolts there are no holes in the old gasket. The new gasket with the holes is where they say to drill ("modify") the block.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Denny... if the heads dont have the holes and the block dont have the holes.. then there is no problem.... but if one has the holes and the other dont... then a problem could exist.... but is neither the block or head has the lower passage holes.. then its just a hole in the gasket with no coolant passage...

Belay that... I see the problem/......... the side holes.. the MK4 is a back to front coolant flow.... the MK5 and MK6 are up flow.... note the three holes in the bottom of the new gaskets, and the old gasket has extra holes on the ends for coolant flow.. that the new gasket doesnt have....

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is my delema. Holes in the head and not the block. I will send them back or see if my buddy at the speed shop will swap them out.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After searching. This is what I found 1037's allow the water to flow from the bottom(block) to the top(heads) straight up. The 8081's the water flows in the block from front to back and then into the heads from back to front. The 1017's will flow both ways if the block and heads have the holes. My heads have the holes but the block doesn't.

Maybe next time i have it down I will drill the block, heck depanding when I get the rest of my parts I may do it sooner. But the 1037's are on their way back and the 1017-1's are on their way here.

Thanks again,
Denis

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I have run those gaskets a few times with absolutely no issues. My latest block is filled part the way too, for rigidity, due to the bore size. I drive it on the street with 14:1 compression and no issues. Felpro engineers have it right, it's just accomodating for the various years and types of blocks. You didn't need to send it back.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have run those gaskets a few times with absolutely no issues. My latest block is filled part the way too, for rigidity, due to the bore size. I drive it on the street with 14:1 compression and no issues. Felpro engineers have it right, it's just accomodating for the various years and types of blocks. You didn't need to send it back.
MP,
Does your block have the water holes next to the 3 center head bolt holes?

My Machine shop guy said if I had the holes I could use them, I just didn't want to drill the holes.

P.S. what is your bore size?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
MP,
Does your block have the water holes next to the 3 center head bolt holes?

My Machine shop guy said if I had the holes I could use them, I just didn't want to drill the holes.

P.S. what is your bore size?
Thanks!
Couldn't tell you if the holes are there or not; can't remember. The bore is 4.350 or 454 (+0.100) =476ci. Jacks the static comp. way up there.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool! I am a 427 +0.100=447:D I think your newer block has the holes...Depends on year of block.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
My 70 L78 402 has the holes at the rear of the block FWIW.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts