Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Thanks for all the great information. But, I've come to an impass with my project and decided to humble myself and ask for some help.

I decided several months ago to put a BB in a '70 with factroy air. I read lots of post about motor mounts, headers, etc. etc. I thought I had the right combo but - guess not. I tried to emulate the '69 camaro set up with long water pump, driver side A/C pump. I used the BB radiator and is mounted as shown in some posts I viewed here.

The 1st problem is that the upper radiator outlet is looking right into the A/C pump and only a couple inches clearence. I don't know how I'm going to make the hose bend to get to the intake. I'm thinking maybe someone may have sold me the wrong radiator or maybe some other part mis match. That would'nt supprise me.

The second problem is the driver side Hooker header is tight against the PS box. I suspect I have a frame to motor mount issue. Again, I ordered the correct parts but having nothing to compare to it's difficult to know. The driver side frame mount is taller than the pass side but not sure what the exact mkeasument should be. i dont know what the motor mounts should look like either. Are BB diferent than SB? It looks like the driver side should be a 1/4" taller for clearence.

I tried my best to use original GM, OER or GoodMark parts so things would just bolt right up. Wrong! You get what they send you.

This is probably not a new problem but I sure would like to here from someone who has already solved it. I'm getting to old for this stuff - - -

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I am planning a similar conversion on my 72, so I didn't really want to hear about problems.:eek: Do you have some pictures you could post? It is widely accepted that Novas did not come with a big/block and A/C. A camaro is supposedly the best example to go from. If you have pictures, and will need help getting them posted, let me know. I am interested in knowing how your problem gets solved.

Randy (NPHNP):)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Things were going fairly well till I tried to put it in the car. I figured the problems would be on the pass side with the A/C unit. I used a Camaro BB inside evaporator housing to help solve that problem. Rear plug and header bolts are a challange but not impossible. I looked a posts on this site showing left side A/C pump location but didn't look as close as mine. A short 45 off the radiator might help but would have to be a molded hose.

I could possibly solve the problem with a short water pump and swaping the alt to the left and using a Sandon pump on the pass side. I used that set up on a '68 BB Camaro a few years back. It worked out Ok but didn't look right.

I wanted to maintain the "factory look" on the '70 so I used all the stock stuff. I will get some pix and try to post.

Retired and NOT enjoying it right now - - - Shot myself in the foot! OUCH!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts