Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the prices of new batteries climbing (why?) the high tech batteries are looking more affordable. I'm familiar with Optima batteries, anyone have any recommendations? I've collected most of the things necessary to move my battery to the trunk, what would be a good low maintenance battery. My current $162 Die Hard didn't.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
i have an interstate in my van an it sits outside 365 days in michigan weather. i'm thinking its 5 years old an is 1000 cca. in my nova i have an optima red top battery an says 1000 CA an 800 CCA. an when its parked in the garage i keep a good trickle charger on the battery. i've had this nova for 2 years with this battery. on the top it has a sticker that says 2/11, so maybe 8 years old ? i don't know it i should buy a new optima or keep running this one that works so good.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,758 Posts
hi Jim

my vote IS FOR --- Interstate ...... hands-down.

I bought my Interstate battery (the 1st one) --- way back along time ago. It did start acting up back in the summer of '09 .... I took it out - gave it a good charge .... and, put-it back in -- it was 6/7 yrs old then. Then it ran for a few more years --------------------- I WAS Very impressed , for sure.

When it did 'go-south' .. I went to the 'Interstate warehouse' to buy another one , the counter guy went out & looked at the car ---------

he told me -- WOW , that battery is 11 years old (and, may have lasted longer -- but, I knew it was old (I had bought & installed it new).

at work, in Bagdad , we would go through A LOT of batteries --
Alot of Batteries -- on the company's trucks.

If you can buy a good battery -- and -- get 4 to 5 years outa it -- then you have done good. Anything longer than that - is gravy, in my opinion.

(granted -- in Bagdad, I have gone through some of those old batteries .. and, found some still good ones .. and, used them).

just my 2cents ...

plus, my Interstate Batteries -- DON'T "sweat" around the top or battery post" .............. a very big deal with me. They just don't seem to 'corrode' around the cables.

money well spent .

·
Registered
878 Posts
Jim, since you are in Anaheim have you tried the Long Beach Swapmeet?
There is a lady there that sells Optama's and Odyssey's. I've bought them from her before, (she's there every month) for about $70.
The batteries are "old stock" that she buys from the mfg's.
Haven't had any issues......

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Battery Optima Red Top

I have been trying to revive my Red Top Optima its about 9 years old i think its gone to battery heaven i had a charger on it with a double up good battery its just not coming alive this time.

Getting read to shell out $200+ for a replacement i have a Optima battery holder mounted in the trunk wish i would have just used a standard AGM holder i would buy something else MAYBE SAVE $$$

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess if I put it in the trunk a lightweight bat would be cancelling some of the weight transfer. I've had optimas before and it finally died in a good way(instead of a dead short internally it just held a charge for a shorter and shorter period of time)but the optima was 120 bucks when I bought it, they are double that now from Summit, haven't checked my local retailers. My real question was about the high tech lightweight batteries if they are worth it, I haven't been to the LB swap meet in years, since parking became a serious problem, but thanks for the tip I just have to get up earlier I guess. Thanks for the responses guys. Anybody know why battery prices have gone up? Use to buy a 36 month batt for $50 and a top of the line for $80, I always thought you were just paying for the warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I worked for a company that was the dealer for DEKA batteries in San Diego. East Penn Co.Made in the USA. Buy an AGM from them for about $120. There are only 3 or 4 companies that make batteries. East Penn is 1 of the 4

·
Registered
19 Posts
Optima used to be great, when they were manufactured in the U.S. but as soon as they moved it to Mexico, they just don't last like the originals. I had one of the U.S. made ones that lasted from 1998 until 2011 and it eventually would not hold a charge. Bought a new one and it only lasted about a year and a half.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses, I think I'm going to buy the battery last as I'm pretty slow at doing stuff, I might need another one by the time I'm ready to start the car.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
It's really hard to beat an Odyssey. I've had one for about 10 years and it still holds a decent charge. That said, a battery maintainer ('smart' trickle charger) is really a 'must' with any AGM battery. The things I like best about the Odyssey is (1) it's lighter than a lead-acid battery and (2) it is COMPLETELY sealed; which is important to me because I also use mine to power a ham radio at off-road events, where I carry the battery in a plastic tub inside the car.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Completely sealed like it doesn't need to be in a battery box in the trunk? It would take up less space that way.If I can get one at Long Beach.......

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I had the Odyssey in my chevelle. It was probably pushing 10 years. Still cranked my 15:1 565 with no issue.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I'm seriously considering an Odyssey battery. Long Beach swap meet is next weekend.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thanks, I'm seriously considering an Odyssey battery. Long Beach swap meet is next weekend.
The vendor is Artesia Battery. You can call her ahead of time and specify what you want and she will set it aside.
(562) 630-0925

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Alf, you saved me some money, and I appreciate the Interstate recommendations. Its basically between those two.

·
6,523 Posts
Watch out as some of the Odyssey batteries are made with vent tube nipples and are labeled AGM.

Even in some information about a couple of their batteries is if they are not charged properly then pressure valves will open and out-gas hydrogen, oxygen, and water from inside the battery. If other batteries by them that are also AGM's, I have to think too that if they are not charged properly or possibly hooked up to a defective alternator that even those would out-gas and if not in a vented enclosure in an area like a trunk, could fill the trunk with possibly explosive and corrosive fumes.

I realize battery technology has come along way but it is my opinion as well as many others that batteries are based in chemical reactions and the better they are protected from damage occurring to them or containing any damage that they could do, the better.

I do wonder how the battery would fail if one attempts to remove the top decal cover.

Jim

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the heads up, I wonder why the battery is so fussy about being hooked to a charger when the car has 100 amp alternator. What's under that decal!?

·
Registered
152 Posts
My interstate is from 2009 and still going strong. The replacement when I need it is going to be another Interstate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts