Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in relation to my other post relocating my battery, and not sure if it's a dumb question, but I came across some interesting info on another forum.

I've always thought the in line fuse needed to go on the positive wire, closest to the battery in the case of an overload and the hot wire catching fire?

Now, I read in another forum, the LS1 forum, that you can put the fusible link on the negative side and it would offer the same protection in the circuit before the positive wire? This makes sense to me since it is a continuous circuit, and without ground everything dies, but does that leave room for the positive cable to catch fire?

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
The fuse could go in either line, but the positive line is universally used for the fuse in OEM installations.

Once the connection to the negative side of the battery is disconnected, i.e. the fuse blows, there is no longer a current path to complete the battery circuit. If the motor is running, the positive cable will be live via the alternator connection, but there will be no current going to the battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts