Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might sound stupid but i was wanting to see some peoples ideas of mounting there electric fuel pumps and battery in trunk. i saw a guy at the drag strip with a barry grant pump and battery in trunk looked nice. im at that point in my build and was wondering what you got.... THANKS A LOT

·
Registered
2,638 Posts

Not the greatest of pics, but it gets the job sorta done. The fuel cell is mounted on a 1 1/2" or so riser and the fuel pump is level with the bottom of the sump. I'll get more pics if you really need, but I think this gives you the idea?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for the pictures so far. i found a couple good ideas off what you have sent. if anyone has any different kinds of setups please send as well

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thetpro1

[THETPRO1]it looks in the picture as if the filter and pump is slightly higher than the sump. if so have you ever had any problems with it? the reason is my sump sits lower than my new floor pan and would like to bring the pump up a little but am worried how it will work. THANK YOU

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here is some pics of mine:

I know it looks like I have a fuel leak, but its the liquid from a fuel pressure gauge hitting the trunk floor.

FWIW: if your running cheap wet cell batteries like I am, you may want to mount them in the same direction I have. I had another pair mounted the other direction like the optimas in the above pics and ended up shorting the plates inside the batteries from hard launches.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here some shots of mine, I like mine in the trunk because I have seen cars their pump and or filter during the burn out and running down track so for me it a safety thing plus at my age its eaiser to work on LOL

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i want to mount it in the trunk because i want as little in the engine compartment as possible. i just like the look, and like having the option of turning the pump on and off when i want . i am gonna run electric water pump, and electric fan as well.

·
Registered
457 Posts
[THETPRO1]it looks in the picture as if the filter and pump is slightly higher than the sump. if so have you ever had any problems with it? the reason is my sump sits lower than my new floor pan and would like to bring the pump up a little but am worried how it will work. THANK YOU
I do not have a cut out in mu trunk. The pump is a little higher, It has been like that for MANY years. It is a very consistant race car, and I have very few problems.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THETPRO1 thank you. i will start working on mine tom. i was worried because how i want to mount mine i was gonna have the pump 4 inches above the sump. my tank sits down in the new floor but i wanted the pump in the trunk. i was hoping it would still flow.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just got off the phone with a buddy that owns a 66. this is a pic he had of his. it runs in the 9s consistent . this make me feel better my pump is gonna have to sit similar

·
Registered
457 Posts
i just got off the phone with a buddy that owns a 66. this is a pic he had of his. it runs in the 9s consistent . this make me feel better my pump is gonna have to sit similar

What you didnt believe me? You think I would lie to you. Maybe I forgot to tell you my car runs in the 8s, does that make you feel better?
I KID, I KID!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no i dont believe you.... JUST PLAYIN. i talked to him earlier in the day before i saw your update. i put up this post hoping to see a couple good ideas before i got started. i also hoped to see what you showed me you had. i already built all my tank mounts and new floor. i then got scared about how i was wanting to mount it, so you bailed me out. well im new to the building game and still trying to learn. thanks for the imput. The 8s are pretty impressive, is that in the 1/8th LOL.:yes:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
here is what i did for the battery mount. i had to put it close to the fuel cell so i could go through the floor with 1 3/4 tubing to frame. if your wondering why i mounted to frame it because my floor pan is .032 aluminum so i have a 3/8 clearance above floor. i will get a pump in the near future.i might run the pump on the driverside of trunk and then run lines back to passenger side under car. sounds silly but it might look nice in trunk. tell me if that is dumb

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
That looks like kind of a big batt box and also looks like you don't have much room for filter and pump. But It could just be the angle of the photo.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
your rite. there isnt much room between the battery box and fuel cell for a pump. i had to mount it to the frame so it was solid. i will have to mount it between bat. and fender well or on driverside and run lines back to passenger.i kinda want to put it on driverside for the look. THE PICTURE DOES MAKE THE BATTERY BOX LOOK HUGE. its perfect for optima

1 - 20 of 21 Posts