Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing a master battery disconnect in, and cannot decide where to mount it. I have a couple of ideas and just looking for some more ideas/pics.

Here are a couple of places I was thinking about....

Behind the rear lic plate... car doesnt go out in the rain, but not sure if its the "safest" there anyways

On trunk support... Probably the safest and most secure, however its tucked away.

So if anyone suggestions I am all ears. Probably wont see the track, more or less for added security and storage.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As cool as it would be to mount behind plate, just dont think it is safe with the terminal exposed to weather/road. Trunk support is probably where it will go...safe, weather "proof" and out of the way.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The disconnect switch needs to be readily accessible, from outside the car, by track officials in case of an accident. If its in the trunk I'm not sure I see the point. If you just want to be able to disconnect the battery to work on the car maybe use a regular old disconnect that mounts to the battery post. Jegs and Summit sell them.
Here's my disconnect:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I mounted my disconnect in the right side of the trunk, by the battery . I drilled a hole in the trunk floor so that the key socket can be reached from the outside. It works like a anti-theft device this way also. Bill

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am thinking its gonna go behind the plate. I am pretty sure I can weather "proof" it. I should be able to make it track legal as well. Two bolts hold the lic plate holder on, so if/when track time comes, I remove those bolts and it should be easy to get too. If its still a little hard to get at, I think I should be able to make an extension for the handle so it sticks out of the back bumper.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Behind the plate absolutely will not pass tech.

If the battery has not been relocated and is still in its factory location, a disconnect is not necessary.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have the battery in the trunk and if you take off the licence plate braket. So you cansee just the switch you will be ok it just has to be in plain view

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
My vehicle will not see the track. Battery is trunk mounted in a box. Have the disconnect switch mounted to the back side of the box. Used for storage and security only.

Sorry no pics.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have seen a lot of guys that just run the alt wire back to the battery side of the switch and that works.... but it leaves a big chunk of wire "hot". My question is could you put a solenoid/relay in the alt wire so it cuts it off in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
i removed the right rear taillight and put it there

1 - 20 of 20 Posts