Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and did not find anything that answered this question. I have nothing fancy that is needing excessive power. 67 Nova with an LS3, stock radio upgraded to 180 watts, might do power windows and locks,not sure yet. What would be a safe rating for a cutoff switch, most are 100-125 amps continuous with bursts of 250 and up. This seems low to me but then again I don't know thats why I'm asking. What is an acceptable rating for a basic setup.

They also seem to be larger than I expected, 5-7 inchs. Has anybody found something they like?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I searched and did not find anything that answered this question. I have nothing fancy that is needing excessive power. 67 Nova with an LS3, stock radio upgraded to 180 watts, might do power windows and locks,not sure yet. What would be a safe rating for a cutoff switch, most are 100-125 amps continuous with bursts of 250 and up. This seems low to me but then again I don't know thats why I'm asking. What is an acceptable rating for a basic setup.

They also seem to be larger than I expected, 5-7 inchs. Has anybody found something they like?
Explain why anyone needs this---factory wiring has breakers & Maxi-Fuses for circuit protection. Start adding problems like this idea is asking for trouble---just sayin'.
What would happen if your cutoff switch opens ?? **** stops working momentarily---sounds like fun.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Explain why anyone needs this---factory wiring has breakers & Maxi-Fuses for circuit protection. Start adding problems like this idea is asking for trouble---just sayin'.
What would happen if your cutoff switch opens ?? **** stops working momentarily---sounds like fun.
Actually battery cutoff switches can be required if you want to test your car at the track...

Anyways, I too have an LS setup, but turbo.

I used a Fastronix 180 amp 4 post unit so that I can kill all electrical and the fuel pump when it is switched off. It was 39 bucks on Amazon and good quality.

I ran my fuel pump wiring through the disconnect as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012UW1GAI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually battery cutoff switches can be required if you want to test your car at the track...

Anyways, I too have an LS setup, but turbo.

I used a Fastronix 180 amp 4 post unit so that I can kill all electrical and the fuel pump when it is switched off. It was 39 bucks on Amazon and good quality.

I ran my fuel pump wiring through the disconnect as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012UW1GAI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks Sreavis007 I'll check it out.

·
6,502 Posts

You just need to total up how much current is on the circuit(s) you are wanting to add this switch to and then get a switch that is larger than that.

For your own knowledge, a 180 watts rated radio may draw 5A or might draw 20A. I've seen inflated specs from plenty of companies out there and I've had 10 watt radio's pull more current than 200W ones.

Power windows can also draw different amounts of power as well as door locks but keep in mind these two systems will not be in use all of the time but only when needed.

If you want a safe switch, and the draw is let's say 100A/150A peak, then get a switch that can do 150A all day long or go to something a tad larger like a 200A one. Plan ahead for any future upgrades too so that what you buy and install today will not have to get replaced on the next electrical upgrade or addition.

Jim

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks
I went with this one from Wirth, it seems like it could handle a lot at a reasonable price, $28. And its relatively small.
2-Position Mini Master Single Battery Disconnect Switch for use on a single 12 Volt Battery - negative cable application.
For Application Up to 48 Volts
ISO 8846 Approved
Continuous Rating: 300 Amps
Intermittent Rating: 1000 Amps / 5 Seconds
Crank Rating: 700 Amps / 10 Seconds
Dimensions: 2-3/4" L x 2-3/4" W x 3" H
Recess, Flush Top Mount - 4 Screw Holes
Removable Back Plate & 4 Side Knock out Plates for Battery Cables
10mm Threaded Studs with Nuts
Knob Removable for Security

1 - 6 of 6 Posts