Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the threads I could find on waxes/polishes with great interest. What I don't know is whether they're o.k. for the clearcoat of a basecoat/clearcoat paint job or is there a specific product everyone uses? The threads don't say what kind of paint guys are using their product on.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
As far as I know they are safe for both finishes. I used the Meguiars 4 stage wax. Use a clay bar and quick mist detailer. First is a cleaner wax, then a polishing wax, then a sealing wax. Just be very careful if you are using a power buffer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On the cars that I have painted, I let the paint breathe for 30 days or until you do not smell the activators from the fresh paint surface. Or 60 days if you have wet sanded the paint job to that show finish. I only use "Zaino" Z-2 Polish with Z-6 detailer on it. That is a Polish that breathes. I will never use any wax on a show car finish or any car in that fact. The Zaino product does have a UV inhibitor which is also a plus.

·
Registered
544 Posts
On the cars that I have painted, I let the paint breathe for 30 days or until you do not smell the activators from the fresh paint surface. Or 60 days if you have wet sanded the paint job to that show finish. I only use "Zaino" Z-2 Polish with Z-6 detailer on it. That is a Polish that breathes. I will never use any wax on a show car finish or any car in that fact. The Zaino product does have a UV inhibitor which is also a plus.
This is close... It's best to wait 90 days after a paint job before you apply any type of wax or paint sealant. All the solvents need to breath out and the paint needs to full cure. 90 days is the waiting period on this.
As for which brand of wax, there are all sorts of waxes out there and IMO no matter how many weeks or months they say a wax lasts, 80-90% of them dont last as long as they say they do and half the spray waxes out there are junk but there are a few great ones that WILL last a month or so. I have found my favorite wax and what I do is wash a car, hit the majority of the water off the paint surface and then one panel at a time I hit it up with spray wax and finish drying that panel and buff the wax in. You will wash, dry and wax the car in two steps and it turns out great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts