Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this afternoon I layed down the base coat on my hood and trunk. What I thought was a smooth as glass finish turned out to be not so smooth. On the trunk panal I didn't wet sand with the 600 grit enough in a couple of spots and the scratch marks from the 400 dry sand show through. Could I go back over the base coat after it is completely dry and wet sand with 600 and then repaint or is to late for that? The base coat has a 24 hour time before it has to be clearcoated. The hood doesn't have any scratches from sanding that are visible but somehow I did manage to get some dirt specks on one corner. Can those specks be sanded out and then top coated again with more base coat. I tell ya, I really have a lot of respect for those that paint there own cars and have a decent looking paint job. I am trying to do the best possible job but have very little expierence. Thanks Jerry.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
yes you can resand it, no one is perfect the first try its real hard to see sometimes till ya get paint on it....go back and finish it out with the 600 wet...

now when they say you have to get clear on it, they mean you need to get it on within 24 hours or else you will need to scuff the surface, if it ends up being more then that time, get some fine scuff pads and take the sheen off, the recoat

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
more info please.topcoating a solid color is way easier than a metallic.if it's a light metallic like silver,gold powder blue,etc it can be a real bugger to blend it in.good luck.thx,cj.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts