Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I have an aluminum intake I was planning to use and had a friend media blast it which cleaned it up nice, but now it is a dull bare aluminum which is fine because its clean and looks good. I noticed though something oily dripped on it on the workbench and already left a stain, so I can only imagine how it will get stains on an engine...

My question is what can it be coated with or what are you supposed to do with bare aluminum? Someone suggested clear-coat but someone else said that would turn yellow once the engine warms up. Is there any other product that is recommended? Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you want to leave the intake in a raw, unfinished look, it can be cleaned with BUSH'S ALUMINUM WASH. Did my stained aluminum heads with it and they came out spotless.
The intake I have on now was coated by jet-hot. Has a look between a cast finish and a polished finish and is easy to keep clean. I also had an edelbrock performer intake on an old project that was clear powder-coated. It had a "wet" look to it. The only yellowing was a small spot near the heat cross over, if your intake does not have this, it may not yellow.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I have an Eddy performer intake, also had a friend glass bead blast it, then I used Eastwoods clear coast made for the bare aluminum - 3 coasts following the directions - I have about 1000 miles on it now and no yellowing.....

FYI - the oil in your fingers will cause some discoloration as well..

Also - FYI - if the intake was not sealed up when it was blasted - be dead certain you get it really clean - all the passages inside the intake need to be cleaned - it would not be good on your motor to get that fine grit in the cylinders...

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Painted mine with Dupli-Color DE1650 Cast Coat Aluminum. Came out great. More shine than the bare aluminum. Sorry... not a great pic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts