Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
ball joints

One trick that always seems to work is to get two heavy peen hammers and place one on one side of the spindle where the ball joint is and give it a few good raps against it on the other side of the spindle with the other hammer. If all fails there are pullers that you can buy for that one purpose. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
The lower one you can usually put a 2x4 on a floor jack place it under the stud and jack it up give it a couple of taps with the BFH and usually it will pop out.
For the upper get a bigger hammer for the pickel fork. :eek:

Best of luck. :)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
good advice ;)

another thing ya may wanna keep in yer head (i'm sure ya already thought of it) make sure the car is supported REALLY well... with you bangin' on it with a BFH, ya don't need it falling off the stands... cause yer gonna be whalin' on it ta pop 'em loose ;)

Be Good :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ball joint removal

I replaced all of my ball joints and bushings a few years ago on my 62 Nova. The ball joints are in there pretty good, but I used an air hammer with a pickle fork attachment and they all came out relatively easy with no damage.

Good Luck and hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Most of the time the boot will get damaged when using a pickle fork. If you lube up the pickle fork real well you may be able to prevent the boot from ripping.

When I had to remove my first balljoint I used the pickle fork and hit it with the hammer but it would not pop out. I called my brother-in-law for advice and all he asked was......"How big of a hammer do you have?". I told him I was using a regular hammer, but he said "Get a small sledge and pound it." After a couple of blows it popped out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
gear puller

When I put my discs on, I only had the ball joints in a couple months and used a cheap two arm puller from Sears. Done carefully I got the joints out and re-used them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts