Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my balancer last night and when I got to about 45 lb/ft (15 shy of spec) the pulleys lined up , when I tourqed it down to spec, the pulleys set in almost a ¼” because the balancer got sucked further in.

Has any one else ran into this?

I’m thinking about torque it to 45 or until it aligns and use lock tite.

Torque spec on balancer bolt is 60

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Chuck, the pulley isoff by 1/4 compared to what? The water pump pulley? If so, I've had a lot of water pumps that the snout is not pressed on 100% of the way. If that's you're problem, you can get a socket, and tap the snout on the water pump on a little further.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks
Yes it is the water pump pulley thats not lining up. I'll check out the water pump, but I think its as far back as it will go.

I dont think this is related, but I'm using a new aluminum timing chain cover and the water pump bottomed out against it. So I took the cover off and used a belt sander to thin the cover and ground the heads of the bolts a tad on the back of the pump to get clearance. Its the same pump from my 350.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I would be leary of not having the balancer bottom out on the crank snout. As a last resort can you machine a spacer to take up the 1/4 inch too deep that it pulls in and then be able to torque the bolt to 60 ft lbs to keep everything tight.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
The balancer bottoms out against the lower timing sprocket which bottoms out on the crank hub. They should to be bottomed out against each other and tight. Make a spacer or whatever to get things lined up but I wouldn't run the balancer not bottomed out. JMHO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts