Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K....I give up! I've installed my new harmonic balancer.(Summit brand) My question is when the number one cylinder is at TDC should the "0" on the timing tab line up with the"0" on the balancer? If not, how do I establish a reference point for TDC?. I am beginning to out think myself here!
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Yes, at #1 TDC the timing pointer should line up with the "0" on the balancer. You'll either be at #1 TDC combustion stroke or #1 TDC exhaust stroke.

Is your timing pointer at 12 o'clock or 2 o'clock? Your balancer may be for the other timing pointer.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I believe there are two differently marked balancers for a sbc, and two different timing tab types. It sounds like you have a mismatch.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Easy way to tell if you're TDC of number 1 cylinder...pull the driver side valve cover...turn the motor via the harmonic balancer bolt (you may have to pull a few plugs)...when both valves are closed on the number 1 cylinder and your balancer mark lines up with your pointer you should be TDC of the number 1 cylinder...if you come around to this mark and either the exhaust or intake valve is open on number 1...you're TDC on number 6...remember the crank turns twice for one rotation of the distributor
:beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts