Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please educate me on baffled and non-baffled valve covers please,,,,excuse my ignorance
thanks
Tom

·
Registered
819 Posts
baffled valve covers

If you have baffles in the valve covers when you look in the hole you can see them approximatley 1/2 from top of valve cover. If you look in and see the top of the rockers you have no baffles. I had some old chevy chromed valve covers with no baffles. The carb sucked the oil through the intake and started smoking like crazy. Tood me a couple of days but I figured it out(talked to someone who told me). Put baffled on and no more problem.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Street cars should always use baffled valve covers for just that reason. Also, the vented side should run to the air cleaner. Those small vented filters can plug easily and arent really adequate for a bigger displacement motor. Always better to pull air in through the air cleaner......

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I beg to differ with both JCS and IGOPLUT,
as no baffle valve covers (old style) can/should be used with blocks that are ment to have no baffled valve covers, like stock blocks that had a road draft tube out the back. You need something to allow the preasure to "release".

As far as what should be used for a street car, it doesn't matter, but you need to have a way to allow the pressure to release.

1st and 2nd gen road draft tubes went to carb, but I believe that 3rd gen's did go to the aircleaner, basically just to reburn the pressured valley air.

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

1 - 4 of 4 Posts