Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in a wreck the other day in my 68. my brother rear ended me at a stop light, he wasn't paying attention to what was in front of him apparently. it dented in my bumper pretty bad but didn't hurt the body none. I got her home okay that night but today, thats a different story.

Got in the 68 to take her to town and everything seemed fine till i got to about 60 mph.. then the car started jerking so bad and making banging noises, I thought the drive shaft had fallen out. I pulled over and couldn't find anything wrong anywhere. got back in the car and drove her home, but at that point the rear end started whining really loud. and continued to jerk the car around.

got her back to the house. lifted up the rear end, I couldnt get the tires to do a full rotation in N. Took diff plate off to see almost every bolt holding my ring gear sheered off and laying in the bottom of the diff. What a nightmare!!

my car has a 10 bolt rear end. and the smallest of the 10 bolt carriers. I had to use a spacer ring in order to use a 373 gear. Instead of trying to fix this junky weak rear end I'd like to upgrade. Im thinking a nice 12 bolt. or even a 9in/ 8.8.

Can Y'all please educate me on what im looking for? what all i should know? or honestly anything you can think of will help me greatly. (what vehicles, what numbers i should look for, whats good and whats bad, sizes, like literally anything Please!!!!)

thanks guys!!

·
Registered
63 SS
951 Posts
Sorry to hear this kinda bad news. Hope everyone is ok. If it was an accident that understandable......if your brother was texting or looking at his phone I would have at least punched him in the nose.....kidding, but you get the idea.

As for the diff, I believe there are lots of rangers and explorers in junkyards with 8.8’s. Maybe a lot cheaper than a 12 bolt

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I would also go for the 8.5 10 bolt. And the spacer is what sheared all the bolts.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
8.5 here too if your up to 600 ish HP. These units when built right can take a lot of abuse.

8.8 is a work required but great option if you have over 500 ish HP up to 900 ish HP.

12 bolt and 9" are sweet pieces but unless your chucking 10 second power at it or can't do the work for an 8.8 then really not needed. That said nothing wrong with either if you have the bank to roil one, they really look nice under your ride.

I run an 8.8 now and it takes what I throw at it.

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
I upgraded my 8.5 with a 30 spline Eaton posi and some 30 spline Moser axles along with a T/A aluminum rear support cover.

The 8.2 with some parts will handle some power as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys. Im gonna try to find a nice 12 bolt to put in the car. but if i cant find one for the right price ill probably end up with a 8.5.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
12 bolts are bringing a lot of money, mostly because they are the same as the 68-69 Camaros. Like everyone has said the 8.5" is a straight bolt in, and still pretty cheap. They are almost as strong as the 12 bolt, the 8.5" was GM's replacement for the 12 bolt. You can still find the 8.5" in the wrecking yards, most any GM X-Body 1972 and up.
The only difference I found when I went from my 12 bolt to the 8.5" was I had to shorten my driveshaft one inch, and a different U-Joint depending on the yoke on the 8.5"

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mechanical woes. As mentioned before, 12 bolts are commanding abnormal prices. I think part of it is that you can buy a brand new 12 bolt ready to bolt in for about $3,000 so everyone now thinks their leaking, rusty, bent axle 12 bolt is now worth $3k plus. :confused: :mad: Anyway, I have a 8.5" 10 bolt behind my 502 with no issues. It does have eaton limited slip and richmond 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jordan, If you can afford it go with a 9" Ford, especially if you decide add more horsepower at some point later on. The neat thing is that you can pick up another center section and swap it out fairly quickly if you want to change your gear ratio.....plus the 9" is super strong. I have a '70 Nova that i used to run a 406 small block in. I decided to change the engine & trans to a 540 & PG. I now have picked up two additional center sections for my 9' which makes it great if I decide to take it to the track or just pump it up a bit for the street.
Point is; I won't break it, I can swap the gears and it's worry free now.
I learned a long time ago NOT to cut corners on parts.... !
I hope this helps a bit. Good luck.
Rich.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi Jordan, If you can afford it go with a 9" Ford, especially if you decide add more horsepower at some point later on. The neat thing is that you can pick up another center section and swap it out fairly quickly if you want to change your gear ratio.....plus the 9" is super strong. I have a '70 Nova that i used to run a 406 small block in. I decided to change the engine & trans to a 540 & PG. I now have picked up two additional center sections for my 9' which makes it great if I decide to take it to the track or just pump it up a bit for the street.
Point is; I won't break it, I can swap the gears and it's worry free now.
I learned a long time ago NOT to cut corners on parts.... !
I hope this helps a bit. Good luck.
Rich.....
that's what I've ended up doing. One day I'd like to make my nova a 7.00/6.50 second car (in the 8th). So I decided to go with the 9" and it was only 100$ at a swap meet haha. I had even found another chunk for it that had a eaton posi, 4.11 gears, and 31 spline. I walked away for not even a minute to ask my buddy if 300$ was a good price for that, when i came back he had done sold it! awe it tore me up.

So this 9" i have is about an inch and half longer than my current 10 bolt. I have to run 15x8s with 5.5 inch backspaceing to fit my 255s.. my car does not have minitubs, (maybe one day?) How do i measure what size I want my rear end? or whats the known measurements to make it basically stock length. any tips i should know about?

Also, my 9" is 3.25 gears, open diff, and stock 28 splines. since I'm getting it shortened I'd like to go ahead and upgrade it to 31 splines. so 31 spline full spool is the plan because it fits my budget better. 3.70 gear, and moser custom axles. or am i better off trying to find another built chunk? (complete ones online are stupid expensive) Am I missing something? does that sound right? Lastly, when I built my 10 bolt, I had to buy a shim kit of sorts that came with a crap ton of stuff. Is there something like that for a 9"? name and where?

Thanks guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts