Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 383 has been acting out of time off and on. I went to check the timing and I noticed an occasional clank coming out of the passenger side of the top of the motor.No real pattern to it, just every now and then and sometimes repeatedly,then have to wait a bit to hear it again. Went to shut it down and the same clank happened on shut down. WTF? Is this a lifter? If so can I just get a new set or should I replace the cam too? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Pull valve cover check rocker arm, push rod. Maybe even adjustment.

Al

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Disconnect the ignition and "bump" the ignition and check the rockers again. :yes:

Also make sure your header gaskets aren't leaking.:yes: Been many-a-folk think that "Tick", "Tap", etc. was a miss-adjusted rocker.:yes:

28 degrees advance?? Are you sure your timing marks are accurate?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Check your bell housing and torque converter bolts too.:yes: If they come loose you'll have some noise like you're describing as well..

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Rotor should point to #1 terminal on the distributor cap at base timing value not number one cylinder. This is a common misunderstanding when someone says it should point to "#1".

You check your base timing at idle with the vacuum advance hose disconnected and plugged.
Then you check your total timing at 3,000 rpm.

Should be around 8-14 for base and 34-38 for total...depending on your combination. Some engines with inefficient idle need more base timing. Total must be restricted if you are advancing your base timing to compensate for a choppy cam.
Engines that require a lot of total timing to run good, indicate the engine has poor combustion and flame travel.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know the noise could be anything, I will check the bellhousing and flywheel, however it does sound like top of the motor. The bigger problem is the car backfiring, popping, not idling on cold start up and running like total CRAP. What is this. So far I have rebuilt the carb, replaced the HEI coil, rotor, ecm in the distributor, plugs, and wires. Not sure what else it could be. It wont run at all less than 18* advanced and then BARELY.:(

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Have you checked your vacuum advance module?

Easy check for vacuum leaks....With it idling, slowly cover the carb (choke it) with your bare hands. If it idles up AT ALL, then you've got a vacuum leak to find.:yes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts