Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a bad day at the track yesterday. I made some changes this past Spring and was all excited to finally get my car to the track. Added cal tracs, split mono leaf springs, 90/10 shocks up front, ET street radial tires, a new fuel system, and a different carb.

Old set up 12.60's at 108, best of 12.46 with a 1.79 60' off idle on street tires and no traction devices, new set up 12.70's at 106 with 1.83 60'. It was real hot yesterday, and I had a conservative tune but I was expecting more, lots more. On my third run my new Summit fuel pressure regulator went crazy. First it jumped up to 12 psi. I backed it off, then it was jumping all over from 3 to 14 psi and just flooded my bottom end with gas. Thankfully a friend at the track was able to give my car a lift home.

combo on my '72 Nova is:
all steel, full interior
350/350
Phase 2 bowtie heads
stock crank/rods
10.5-1 compression
Comp cam 12-224-4, 248 at .050, .525
Holley 750 DP with a Pro form main body
Wieand Team G intake
Full MSD
Hedman 1-3/4 primary
8.5 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears
Cal tracs with split mono leaf spring
90/10 shocks up front
50/50 cheap shocks in back (for now)
MT ET street radial 255/60-15
Weld draglites

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The regulator was a billet regulator from Summit, part number SUM-G3135. I just checked and they no longer offer it. Hopefully they will change it out for me. It is the exact same design as Aeromotive pn13205 :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Ironman, Sorry you were disappointed with your car. I will mention that the weather can make or break speed real easy. Heat is only one part of going fast. Barometric pressure actually hurts or helps HP more than anything. Humidity is also a big player. I log every pass my car makes with time of day, bar press, humidity, and temps, to try and predict what my car will do. If you do that you can pretty quickly see what does what. Another factor is the track. If they really want the track to work, it can. Other times they sort of give it a look and promise and it sucks. In similar heat last week my car was going slow when yesterday it was flying. Both days it was mid 90s or better with track temps in the mid 140s. Barometric pressure was 30.8 yesterday and only 29.20 last week. Give it another shot and you might get excited, you never know. RM

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Man, so much for 11s :confused: How well did they have the line prepped yesterday? There is little to no prep on TNT nights and I just spin like crazy. At least you didn't burn your car to the ground!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only record numbers on the timeslip right now. I need to start monitoring weather conditions to get a better idea of what is going on. Definately wasn't making the horsepower yesterday I need to. I was shooting for
11.90's and I should've almost been there with just a decrease in 60' times.

Yesterday was supposed to be a big bike bash at the track, but it ended up being a flop. There are more bikes on a regular points day and very few cars so track prep was minimal. The car felt like it was hooking up. If I was spinning I couldn't tell. It went straight too which was a plus.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I feel your pain Ironman! I made my first runs last night with the new 383 and rearend. The good news is it hooked and went straight, didn't have any leaks, and nothing broke or smoked. The bad news is it wouldn't pull the hat off your head for the first 300' or so. Best it could muster was a 7.95 1/8th mile, 90.59 mph with a 1.77 60' - and I only got in 3 passes thanks to rain delays and a huge crowd.

The other good news is (sort of good news, I guess) is there's a good half second to be had (I hope) with a new convertor. I was hoping to get by with my old 11" 2400 stall convertor, but it's nowhere near enough for this motor. So, more $$ out the door this week and we'll try it again. I also went the wrong way with my timing adjustment so hopefully we'll see some 7.50's next time out.

Just keep plugging. PS, my Holley regulator does the same thing from time to time, and my brother's BG does it once in a while. The only sure fire cure is a regulator with a return line. It's on the list......

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Pick said:
I feel your pain Ironman! I made my first runs last night with the new 383 and rearend. The good news is it hooked and went straight, didn't have any leaks, and nothing broke or smoked. The bad news is it wouldn't pull the hat off your head for the first 300' or so. Best it could muster was a 7.95 1/8th mile, 90.59 mph with a 1.77 60' - and I only got in 3 passes thanks to rain delays and a huge crowd.

The other good news is (sort of good news, I guess) is there's a good half second to be had (I hope) with a new convertor. I was hoping to get by with my old 11" 2400 stall convertor, but it's nowhere near enough for this motor. So, more $$ out the door this week and we'll try it again. I also went the wrong way with my timing adjustment so hopefully we'll see some 7.50's next time out.

Just keep plugging. PS, my Holley regulator does the same thing from time to time, and my brother's BG does it once in a while. The only sure fire cure is a regulator with a return line. It's on the list......
Hey Pick, glad to hear you are runnin now. When do you plan on going to the Hill again. I will come up and watch ya?

JR:)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Hopefully this weekend, JR. Hope to get a new torque convertor and shift cable (it started binding up Saturday night) ordered today, and hopefully I'll find enough time to get them installed before Saturday. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pick-How much converter are you going to? I have a 10" 3000 stall, almost changed out, but will keep this one until I get more $$$.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Ironman said:
Pick-How much converter are you going to? I have a 10" 3000 stall, almost changed out, but will keep this one until I get more $$$.
Bear in mind mine is a race-only car and goes to the track on a trailer, but after two lengthy phone conversations with TCI, I've ordered an 8" TCI race convertor with a stall of 4600. More $$ than I wanted to spend, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
What's your duration @ .050", race weight, transmission, tire diameter and rear gear?

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Pick said:
236/242, 2850, TH400, 26", 4:56 w/spool
IMO, that's a lot of effective gear for that light of a car. You may actually go quicker with something like 3.73s.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
DriveWFO said:
IMO, that's a lot of effective gear for that light of a car. You may actually go quicker with something like 3.73s.
Probably right. When winter comes, or if I break this one, I'll back up to a 4:10 and try that - unless I decide to put the PG I have in the garage in it first. 4:56 might be about right for it.

Fortunately I run on an 1/8th mile track because it would never make it through a 1/4 as it is now.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Pick said:
Fortunately I run on an 1/8th mile track because it would never make it through a 1/4 as it is now.
Ah, I completely missed that part!!! Sorry about that...brain fart :sleep:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Well you may still be right, WFO. Even for an 1/8 mile I may have a little too much gear. When I wear this set of tires out, I'm going to try a set of 28.5's and see if that helps or hurts.

This thing should be in the lower half of the 7's in the 1/8th once I get everything all sorted out.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back to the drawing board. I decided to pull the motor and freshen it up. It had been together for 6 years and in storage for at least 4. Besides my recent poor times, I had a couple oil leaks recently start and I never backed the rockers off while it was in storage so I may have lost some spring tension over time.

Gonna put a cam with a little less duration in it and make a couple other subtle changes shooting for 11.50-11.70 this time around. Hope to be back at the track the week following July 4th......if it stops raining!! Stay tuned for details.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts