Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am building my 63 nova and im wondering if i should do a back half set up or a bolt in 4 link, my goal is to run low 11s o high 10s and im only 17 and am doin all the work slowly but surely. is a backhalf a good easy and affordable way to go?
please give me your input and advice on how to go as far as my rear suspension.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Calvert split monos & Caltracs. seen this setup go 8's others in the 7's, easier to install & cheaper..... save ur money for other things.... split wheelwell are a very cheap mini tub for these Novas.... hope this helps..

JOHN

·
Registered
508 Posts
X2. I agree, a back half is nothing close to cheap and the bolt in four link is a waste also. It dont take much to get a first gen to hook. Like he said calvert split monos and caltrac bars is al you need.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Is a backhalf hard to do ? Well its not hard , but its alot of work ! and alot of cash .... But if you have a welder,pipe bender,grinders,chopsaw,sawzall,,,,,hell the list goes forever ! SO basically if you have 8 grand in tools ,and the skills to do it ,then go for it ! You cant beat the look of a tubbed nova . If i had to do it again i would pass ,and do a minitub ! Just move the springs in etc.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
yep listen to what them up der^^^^ are saying about leaf springs and cal-trac bars :yes: im one of those idiots who went with a weldin 4 link i cant say the manufactures name but im not happy with my car :no:

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Im moving my frame rails in I it hasnt been too hard or very expensive. With rollcage, frame rails, sub conectors, and misc. other material Im in it for less than $800. You will need a welder a grinder and cutoff wheel. I can use the leafs if I want but I am going with the CW ladderbar set up that I purchased years ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yep listen to what them up der^^^^ are saying about leaf springs and cal-trac bars :yes: im one of those idiots who went with a weldin 4 link i cant say the manufactures name but im not happy with my car :no:
why are you not happy with the four link setup ?

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
If you want the ultimate, back-half your car with a professional 4-link. Ladder bars are OK on the strip but ride rough on the street compared to a 4-link. Plus they aren't as adjustable on the strip.

The best pro street 4-link kit made IMO is the Auto Weld Chassis Ultimate II. Their all-out race setups are superior too.

http://autoweldchassis.com/

Mini tubs are cool but I like the all-out pro street look. I never even considered buying one of the bolt-in 4-link kits but they would be cool for a pro touring car.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
why are you not happy with the four link setup ?
i dont know but its not a true 4 link its a h***** 4 link / bar you would think that puting this on it would have netted me something but not yet either that or its beyond my capabilities of tunning and i dont know how to adjust it . i have 2 degrees down on my pinion right know and my coil overs are adjustible but only ride height i still have my leafspring brackets in the car but with my current tire combo i would have to relocate them something even funnier is the fact that i have a brand new pair of leafsprings and cal trac bars sitting in my garage ( no im not getting rid of them ) this was my first set up and then the bolt on 4 link thing came out and i was like why not try it

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I could get you in the 9's with some slapper bars and a small tire--you don't need to waste a bunch of money on suspension.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Calvert split monos & Caltracs. seen this setup go 8's others in the 7's, easier to install & cheaper..... save ur money for other things.... split wheelwell are a very cheap mini tub for these Novas.... hope this helps..

JOHN
o manm thats awesome thanks alot where can i find the split wheelwell mini tub??

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is a backhalf hard to do ? Well its not hard , but its alot of work ! and alot of cash .... But if you have a welder,pipe bender,grinders,chopsaw,sawzall,,,,,hell the list goes forever ! SO basically if you have 8 grand in tools ,and the skills to do it ,then go for it ! You cant beat the look of a tubbed nova . If i had to do it again i would pass ,and do a minitub ! Just move the springs in etc.
how would i go about moving the springs in for a mini tub?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
X2. I agree, a back half is nothing close to cheap and the bolt in four link is a waste also. It dont take much to get a first gen to hook. Like he said calvert split monos and caltrac bars is al you need.
k thats the way it seems i should go but wat do i do about the minitub

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dude its all good y dont u swap caltracs for your 4 link? hey man u need 2 get rid of those tires my friend has tried those and lost 4 tenths on his nova

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im moving my frame rails in I it hasnt been too hard or very expensive. With rollcage, frame rails, sub conectors, and misc. other material Im in it for less than $800. You will need a welder a grinder and cutoff wheel. I can use the leafs if I want but I am going with the CW ladderbar set up that I purchased years ago.
can you send soe pics and the parts u used because that sounds like my price and a cool setup in my 63

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want the ultimate, back-half your car with a professional 4-link. Ladder bars are OK on the strip but ride rough on the street compared to a 4-link. Plus they aren't as adjustable on the strip.

The best pro street 4-link kit made IMO is the Auto Weld Chassis Ultimate II. Their all-out race setups are superior too.

http://autoweldchassis.com/

Mini tubs are cool but I like the all-out pro street look. I never even considered buying one of the bolt-in 4-link kits but they would be cool for a pro touring car.
dude those r some sick setups but i think a little too pricey for me right now but maybe in the future, and i know wat u mean i love the prostreet look also :devil:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts