Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After getting car back from tranny install. Fans crapped out and car has run like crap. Found 2 burnt plug wires. Replaced them. Rewired fans, they work now, Took the car for a ride last night. It ran great on way out, on way back took it up to 4500-5000 rpm and it sputtered and popped, then did the same at all rpm after that, barely got it back home. I have pulled every wire off and inspected them. All good. Double and tripple checked that all wires all are on right plug and distributor location. Car still sputtering and backfiring.
Distributor has not moved since dialed it in at dyno. I checked it is bolted down solid and won't move a cm if I try to turn it, so it has not moved.

What I know:
The distributor cap was removed and reinstalled by tranny guy so it would not hit firewall when tranny removed. Again, I have checked it, and is in correct position as I have a mark to line it up with.
Timing has not been adjusted.

Distributor cap is not cracked, pulled plugs. Did notice a bit of blue stuff on top of distributor cap terminals.??

What I don't know:
What to do next :(
Some photos. Ideas??

·
Registered
932 Posts
have you checked compression??
wouldn't be the firsttime l'v heard of a tranny shop "Joy" driving a person car to make sure the trans is good.

blue stuff???? l would think corrorsion

have to checked the carb?? maybe a jet got cloged
does it crank and crank and crank
OR
crank hit crank hit hit hit crank crank hit hit crank crank crank hit

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crank and crank and crank and then ka-pow gas or flame shoots up

·
Registered
932 Posts
if flames are shooting threw the carb, its a timming issue
but if its not even hitting it sounds like no spark/weak spark.
torch off the plugs let the cyclenders dry out then try it again.
with plugs out check for a weak or good spark

·
Registered
482 Posts
sounds like its off by 1 tooth. go back to basics. re check everything. like your gonna fire the car for the first time. the tranny guy might have pulled the distributor. second thought would be... maybe the HEI module is going bad.

but I would check all the marks first

·
Registered
810 Posts
Trans shop might have taken the dist out or removed some wires when taking the trans out and missed the setup going back in.

Double check the dist and plug wire locations

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I think the plug wires are in the wrong position...probably done by the trans guy.I never let anyone touch my car...I havent for years(besides the alignment guy)I will be installing my own 200 4r.good luck.bm

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plug wires all good and in right place
Replaced module, ran marginally better. Got it in the garage at least.
Thought maybe rotor or cap. At parts store had my entire distributor for $80.00. Swapped over cap and rotor. No change. No plans of putting in the new distributor today, I am done. Not even sure if that would resolve.

Motor is new 3000 miles on it.Timing chain is a double roller. Not sure if it would have jumped a tooth
Will check carb another day.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Have you put a timing light on it? It's out of time if backfiring through the carb. I think the dizzy is in off a tooth and you're probably at 5 degrees ATDC. Bet it's something really simple.

Kev

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
are the spring and weights rusted you said you had blue stuff under the cap sounds like some condensation got in there i would check to see if your distributer still advances real easy to do with the motor off pull the cap off the distributer and grab the rotor and see if it still has some spring to it if not this may be your problem. i suggest this cause i had two h.e.i.s do this to me one was a brand new petronix the other was an msd

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Il bet the tranny shop took the distributer out and didnt put it back in the same way it came out. So your mark you are using to "time" it is probably way off. If the hold down isnt tight, I bet the distributer turned during the high revs and retarded the timing. At this point without using a timing light you are just guessing and wasting time. I bet its timing.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Get a timing light. It's a fundamental tool for working on old cars. Plug the vacuum advance. Set it to around 36 degrees total timing (use either timing tape or a dial back timing light). You're probably a tooth off and may not be able to turn the dizzy enough to get the 36ish degrees of timing. Spin the motor over to TDC. Stick a long screwdriver down the dizzy hole and turn the oil pump drive shaft a little bit to get your rotor lined up with the number one spark plug wire. This might take a few tries of dropping the dizzy in before it seats all the way down on the oil pump shaft. You might need to spin the shaft a little more or less to get it to drop down where you want it.

Kev

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The timing is off, I had my car dialed in and the distributor hit the fire wall and retarded the timing and it did the exact same thing (I had to move it 1 tooth so it wouldn't hit). It's probably been pulled out or turned, put a light on it and you'll know right away. I'll bet money it's off!:yes:

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found issue. Distributor base was bent up causing rotor to hit side of base and arching. Rotor base also cracked where fits on top of dist shaft, it too must have pressed up against fire wall.

This would have happened when distributor rested against firewall when motor leaned back during tranny install. Tranny guy pulled cap prior thinking that would be enough clearance. A lesson learned for all. But a note. I always put a 2 x 4 between back of block and firewall when no tranny in car.

told my tranny guy what happend. his response:

Well....I Completely, Totally, Absolutely, Insist that you SEND ME THE BILL, or TELL ME WHAT THE NEW DISTRIBUTOR COST YOU and any LABOUR I will Completely reimberce for the Cost!

Now all along I kept saying this tranny guy was a good honest man. Remember he re & re the whole tranny a few weeks back due to a defective part. Good people/professionals dont do work and set out to cause damage.
If they make mistakes, as we all do, the good ones step up and be accountable.

So, I am happy all was resolved and there was not a pissing match over who's fault it was. Maintaining good relationships with the people in the trades we trust our rides with is key.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Let him know we think he's an up standing guy!:yes::yes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts